1999 Yamaha LS2000 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Yamaha LS2000 Engine

Lost an engine this weekend. Got home and ran a compression check. Both outside cylinders were about 100 (cold) but the middle cylinder was 0. Added some oil and I got up to 60. From experience, what are the most likely causes of this and what would be the best approach to fixing it? BTW, I switched to premix last summer when one of my oil lines blew. Due to the age - would it be a better idea to just get the short block?

Re: 1999 Yamaha LS2000 Engine

Carb issues and air leaks are the main issue to cause a cylinder to drop, since your running pre-mix you dont have to worry about the oil line problem that Yamaha's have. Look into your fuel delivery system, inspect the carbs and if your engine is a PowerValved engine check to see if you dropped a power valve.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

pulled the intake manifold off and found metal shavings on the middle cylinder intake. Found a small piece of aluminum - size of an m&m - without peanuts ;^) - but it was on the carburetor side of the reed valves - thought that was wierd. Reed valves are not broken, but two of them are burnt. Because of the age, I decided to get the short block for $945 and am replacing the the reeds.

Comment

Air Leaks? Is that why I had so much oil inside the front case cover?

Comment

Working...
        X