starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting

i have a 1997 gts the motor will not crank with the plugs in take them out it cranks just ordered new starter could this be another problem besides a weak starter it has a new battery motor is also hard to turn by hand. the motor is only 1 yr old is a reman from sbt any help apriciated

Re: starting

motor is hard to turn by hand with, or without the plugs in?

Most likely it's your starter, but, take the time and inspect your power and ground cables at teh starter end, solenoid connection and battery end. Peel back a little of the wire cover and see if its rusted. If it is, replace.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

thanks for the reply the motor is hard to turn without the plugs but it can be turned the old starter tuned it easy without plugs but not with plugs just waiting for new starter to arive hope thats the problem

Comment

The motor should be fairly easy to turn by hand with the plugs out. You will feel the compression stroke and it will get a little tight, but then release and be easy for another 1/2 revolution or so...

If it's tough to turn with the plugs out, pull the pump and try turning it again. You may have some binding in the pump bearings... or.. a problem with the motor.
        Dan Solie -
        94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

we got the starter instaled it works good but after the starter went out we left the seado in the water at the river it took on water about 2 inches over the battery it cranks good but no spark any ideas i am asuming somthing in the electric box is shorted out

Comment

open up your electrical boxes see if there is water in there. If so, dry it out.
            Dan Solie -
            94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

had the box out yesterday its dry

Comment

download the manual and perform the VTS testing functions with a multi-meter

www.seadoomanuals.net
                Dan Solie -
                94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

ok i took the bike to the local motorsport shop they seem to think water got into the motor i know the water was about 2 inches above the battery the compresion is130 on the front cylender and 108 on the rear the motor is tight they say they can hear a scratching sound does that sound like the motor is shot hhe didnt go any farther to see why it wasnt getting any fire

Comment

130/108 will still run, but run poorly...

How do you KNOW it's not getting spark. Have you grounded the plugs and visually watched the plugs NOT fire?
                    Dan Solie -
                    94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

yes we grounded the plug also the motorsport shop said the spark is not consistant it sparks every once in a while water was aprox. 2-3 inches over the batt. could water get into the cylender thy seem to think the low compresion is from posible water

Comment

Water in the cyl will not kill spark.. Water in the FRONT cover will...

Time to open the mag cover.
                        Dan Solie -
                        94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

yes i realize that what they was telling ne is that they didnt know if i wanted them to check out the spark problem any farther if the motor is shot they think maybe water may have got into the rear cylender it has a grinding sound .sorry i didnt explain better

Comment

pull the head yourself.. Only takes a couple of minutes. Take a look at the pistons and let us know what you see.
                            Dan Solie -
                            94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

i have a 1998 seadoo gtx,rfi engine hard to crank with sparkplugs in. take them out it cranks o.k, battery,power and ground cable checked and ok. the starter cranks the engine about 2 sec and then it release!!!!! any help ?

Comment

Working...
                              X