770 Drive shaft moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 770 Drive shaft moves

I have a 96 770 Daytona. The drive shaft slides forward and then the splines disengage and the unit runs but does not move. I took the impeller off and pulled the drive shaft back into the splines but when I put the impeller back on it slides forward again and disengages. I feel like I need to put a spacer in the coupler for some reason.

Anyone have any sight as to why this would happen? There has to be play in the coupler but not sure why -- the coupler is tight to the motor.

I have been hearing about the update drive shaft kits in this forum. Does anyone know where you could pick one up reasonable?
    Thanks,

Re: 770 Drive shaft moves

Probably you're missing the bearing spacer on the rear impeller shaft and is allowing the impeller to set to far to the rear and therefore allowing the drive shaft to move to the rear and causing the spline to come unseated. This spacer sets the depth that the impeller can screw onto the rear impeller shaft and if nit is missing then the impeller can screw down to far on the shaft and will leave slack in the driveshaft. Hope this helps
    Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim for the response. I will check this out. Much appreciated.

Rollie

Comment

I had the same problem, but have not found a solution yet, but the shaft is burning the teeth to the rear of the axle, which indicates that the shaft is moving forward not back. I installed a new shaft and it did the same. My next step is to verify that the flyweel isn't stripped inside. Did you find the cause of your problem, can you post it?

Comment

Working...
        X