2003 Yamaha 1200 SUV blown engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Yamaha 1200 SUV blown engine

I have been looking for a jet ski never owned one in my life and proly wouldnt go to the lake 4-5 times out of the year due to work but the kids are young and was wanting to get a ski and they're to young to drive one so i thought this would be good for all of us to ride on but I found a 2003 Yamaha 1200 SUV 4 seater 3 cylinder with a bad motor. I was wondering if the motor can be rebuilt or better off just replaceing it i was a auto mechanich for 15 years and rebuilt several car &truck motors never touched a 2stroke. If someone could tell me what the ski is worth like it is blown up and about the cost of repair and what its worth fixed it comes with a trailor also I can buy it for 1800.00 the ski as far as looks it is in great shape no scrathes or cracks any where. Also is this ski very dependable or does it give alot of problems? What is the speed with 2 people any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks alot

Re: 2003 Yamaha 1200 SUV blown engine

It all depends on why the engine is blown in the first place. A bad piston is usually the case. It could be something as simple as replacing the piston and cylinder which may be very inexpensive if you do it yourself. You could get a used piston and cylinder off of ebay for very cheap and very good condition. Check the compression in the cylinders. If its 0 psi the piston is bad. To me it sounds like an excellent deal!

Comment

deleted this post incorrect info sorry my mistake see next post
      Last edited by Mst MotorSports; 03-14-2010, 01:12 PM.
      joe D Mst Motorsports www.mstmotorsports.com

Comment

1800 for the ski with a blown motor is a liitle high especially if you dont have a complete picture of the motor condition this is why first here is the book vallues on that from www.nada.com below is the link to your skis page including trailer 3850.00 is low book on a running ski

Low Retail Average Retail Base Price $3,680 $4,150 OptionsPower Boat: PERSONAL WATERCRAFTJet Ski/Watercraft Trailer - 1-Craft $415 $470 TOTAL PRICE $4,095 $4,620 Suggested List: $9,499
        http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...Y&gc=MR&gtc=MR

before you can even begin to figure out what it will cost to fix it you need to know these answers

its more than if its just a blown piston unfortunatly

first option is replace motor complete with sbt engine 1295.00
        plus shipping 180.00
        also do the carbs 3 kits 50.00 each 150.00
        also need install gasdket kit under hundred bucks 100.00
        you doing the labor call it total 1650.00
        to replace engine complete with carb rebuild
        Provided you old engine has no holes or cracks in the case , cylinders can be scorn but not cracked or brocken skirts head can have some damage but if any of these things are damaged other fees can occor seeing how that price is based on sbt having working core parts for the exchange

option 2 its a top end problem only crank is usable \
        top end exchange 700.00 with sh\
        carb kits 150.00
        still reccomend replacing crank seals 75.00
        total 925.00
        comes with all gaskets and pistons and cylinder again based on the cylinder isnt cracked or broken but you reuse your head so if its pitted or damaged you either need to clean it up yourself or replace it

its possible that it dosnt even need that but thats the unknown use the above 2 options as a good base line to work with

first for a mechanic non pwc machanic to do this rebuild its doable you can get all the nessicary info to walk you through it easily MST would be able to help you with the info if needed also and sbt offers alot of info to help also

its possible you dont even need a motor and its rebuildable the grate thing on about this motor is its very strong takes blow ups well no pwer valve 65u engine cylinders are borable thats good cylinder is 1 unit for all 3 pistons so its easy to remove in the ski and it can be installed with block in suv though honestly much easier to just take motor out and do it on the bench used are are everywhere for it motor pulls out easily ,

if you do get it take the motor out completly
        pull the cylinders and head of being a mechanic you will be ably to see and know pistons conditions as well as inspect the crank any questions you can just ask mst will help whether the crank is good or not split the cases easy youle need a standard steering wheel puller not the one with the arms , pto coupler on the other end of the crank can come of with a chain wrench aslong as you either lock the motor up before dissassembling or just put the crank in a vise and remove it then . either way replace the crank seals you can get a complete gastet set from sbt for 130.00 or lower comes with every gasket or seal needed clean crank bearings and reoil before reinstall use honda bond #4 sealer its the best holds up

1st compression readings are a must 120 -135 good will run but should be replaced below 115 wil run but problem exist and will eventually fail lees than that has failed already

www.jetskiplanet.com excellent always quaility used item also may have complete engine ask for james just spoke with james they have acomplete turn key motor electronis, and i belive carbs to double check with him 1600.00

you need to ask how many hours or verify how many hours are on the unit you can do this even if the motor is locked you just have to hit the start button to light up the info center on the dash we build these engines alot at mst this motor is in several models and years so it a common engine we have seen that 125 hours on the average is when these motors start to fail though they are capabile of going much longer but there are several reasons that lead to this motor failing premautrly or at or around 125 hrs
        a. carburation .
        b. fualty oil pumps or somthing that many people dont know but i have seen this personaly several times yamaha injection oil dosnt play well with others depending on the brand mixed and on the amount of yamaha oil in the tank at the time of refilling i have seen this oil congile and become very thick and gelatonous to the point that it vill barly even flow thru the line this will obviously restrict oil to the engine and causes prolonged wear and tear as well as failures can happen on the first time or can happen 50 times later so on this model either use just yamaha oils or you can do the better option is to get of the yam oil and use any of the following artic cat , polaris , seadoo and kawasaki all these can be used together swaping between these is no problem most all of my customers go with seadoo only for the reason seadoo is readly found just about anywhere however in my personal machines i use polaris oils just preference for me on my machines they are coming apart many more times than the average ski owners should ever and i just like the way my internals look on the polaris oils but if i ran out of polaris oil i would use any of the other except yamha oil not that there is a problem with yam oil it just ist ski freindly and you can forget extra oil or forget to fill up before you leave and nof you need to find it that can often suck back to reasons for failure
        d. bad crank seals usually you will see the more oftem on the rear cylinder #3 though it can blow #1 also #3 is common

hope this helps
        joe D Mst Motorsports www.mstmotorsports.com

Comment

Working...
        X