2008 rxp-x cavitation!!! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 rxp-x cavitation!!! Help!

ok, well, went to Orlando yesterday and picked up a 2008 rxp-x. I took it to the river today, and it runs smooth on low rpm's, but when you get it higher or give it more than about half throttle, it begins to cavitate and shutter.

I have looked under the ski and from all I can see is the impeller is rubbing the Wear ring. what would cause this. it doesnt look like it has rubbed for long, but there is definitely a groove where it has rubbed. ANY HELP! I jus purchased this, and dont want if there is major issues!

-Ken
    Ken Folsom

2008 RXP-X 255
    2003 GTX DI & 2003 GTI LE
    2000 GTX RFI Millenium Ed.

1990 Mastercraft 191 - Ford 351 Windsor GT40
    Team Mastercraft
    USA Waterski - 2003 KD CR7

Re: 2008 rxp-x cavitation!!! Help!

first just to be sure grap the motor and make sure you dont have any broken mounts i doubt that is the problem but check anyways, when u looked at the prop how thru the tail or did you get under it and look at it from the back side

cavitation can be cause by 1 of 3 things
    1st bad prop and or wear ring if the prop has any bent blades of chewed up edges this will most deffinatly cause the problem

2 damaged pump vains or bad prop bearings but you should see a lot of abnormal wear ring damage oll over out of round big gaps of light seen around the prop stuff like that

3 motor mount broke this will make the wear ring wear much wore towards the bottom side as the motor twists under acceleration is lifts pussing the prop down ward

do this first look at the prop from both sides with a light look for damaged edges on the inner part of the blades not the edges wear it contacts the ring then take the light hold it up to the intake grate while doing that look thru the tail end and this will show how much gap is aroung the prop between the prop and the ring

if there is a good size gap the wear ring should be replaced and if you find any damage on the prop then it needs to be replaced or repaired and you should also do a wear ring then to

the rxp is extreamy sennsitive to any prop , pump , wear ring damage due to the high hp it must have clean blade edges no bends , and a fairly tight wear ring on other machines no could get away with more imperfections

so you understand what is happaning as the blade spins thru the water a blade that is dented, rough egded , chipped as it spins it creates air actually steam the friction of the blade spinning creates the ssteam which is basically air pockets around the blade and then causes the prop to loose the bite on the water hope this helps
    joe D Mst Motorsports www.mstmotorsports.com

Comment

I looked from both ends, under the ski through the intake grate, and also through the nozzle. The wear ring has been worn down and no gaps around it. it is a tight fit, and you can see the shavings from the impeller turning. I felt the motor, and it is stable. What do you suggest.
      Ken Folsom

2008 RXP-X 255

Team Mastercraft

Comment

Ken, pull the pump, make sure life is grand..

Also, put it in the water on the trailer and rev it up. Look at the thru-hull seal, make sure it is not leaking.

Didn't you water test it prior to buying it??
        Dan Solie -
        04 RXP (the "Instigator")
        94 xp (freestyle mods)
        95 xp (faster than the 94)
        JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Dan, no. I did not test it as he video-ed the last time he was out. The seller has agreed to have sea doo look it over, and to get it fixed. Since it is a new ski, im not digging into it when sea doo can fix it. Plus, my cousin is counting on a ski for her spring break in two weeks, and i wont be home until after then from school again.

Also, after about 25 minutes on the water, i had NO water in the bilge. It was BONE dry.
          Ken Folsom

2008 RXP-X 255

Team Mastercraft

Comment

well, sea doo Stealership called today, and i had them do a full inspection, fluids ETC, and fix it. they found a piece of metal embedded in the wear ring.
            Ken Folsom

2008 RXP-X 255

Team Mastercraft

Comment

umm.. metal from what? lol..
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

No clue dan! But they also found there was NO pump seal present. and the guy I bought it from had service records from where he got it serviced and they "replaced the seal".
                Ken Folsom

2008 RXP-X 255

Team Mastercraft

Comment

nice... gotta love stealerships..
                  Dan Solie -
                  94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Stealerships = the reason I go through so much trouble to do my own work
                    Ken Folsom

2008 RXP-X 255

Team Mastercraft

Comment

Well, got the ski in the water this weekend and it ran GREAT!!! the acceleration on this thing is incredible, and it used less fuel than expected. When i got ourt of the Idle zone, and got on it, i was amazed at how quick it got to speed, and the power the ski has. Still looking at taking the OPAS off and using those holes for the exhaust, or even the thru hull exhaust.

The only thing that happened this weekend was the front piece of trim came off, only after my cousin decided to pull the ski on the beach by the trim. Piece is ordered, and will have it on next weekend.

Anyone know where to get the OPAS kit to make the exhaust through that hole?
                      Ken Folsom

2008 RXP-X 255

Team Mastercraft

Comment

Ken, there is no kit for that.. You remove the OPAS and install block off plates (the hole is only 1" dia. If you want to relocate your exhaust outlet, then there is a Riva Rear Exhaust Kit, but you have to use a hole saw and cut the rear of your ski (scary, I know, but not that bad)

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/ has all that you need on the OPAS and Rear Exhaust.
                        Dan Solie -
                        94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

I swore I saw a post where they said to re-route it there..but guess not. I would love to have the rear exhaust, The stock exhaust sounds good as it is, but i bet the rear sounds OUTSTANDING!!
                          Ken Folsom

2008 RXP-X 255

Team Mastercraft

Comment

Ken... It's a world of difference, and it's worth every penny..
                            Dan Solie -
                            94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                            X