SBT Warranty and support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBT Warranty and support

Purchased a Yamaha 650 Cylinder Exchange Top-End Kit and turned in a good one and after install and torque head bolts 23 ft-lb’s. Ran one tank and found one of the head bolts loose and would not tighten or torque. Attempted warranty exchange and was told not that it was my fault and it's not covered under warranty. It's funny that all the other bolt threads are good I lightly lubricated all bolts with oil not grease. And one of the bolts let go on a rebuilt cylinder after one day and it’s my fault??? I called and spoke to the warranty manager and were told too bad. Not even offer to timesert or helicoil the bad stripped out thread. I then took it to Yamaha for repair and $40 later It has been reinstalled and re-torque to 23 ft-lb’s and imagine that I didn't strip out any of the others again as I was accused of. So forget SBT warranty its apparent how you stand behind your products. So for this $2.50 (cost of a timesert) repair you just bought a boat load of bad press as I would never buy another product nor recommend anyone to purchase your products. You are not the only game in town.

Re: SBT Warranty and support

It is unfortunate that Scott is having an issue with his cylinder exchange. As he knows when he purchased the cylinder exchange, the warranty on it is that it will fit and bolt together properly. These are the same cylinders we use in production. We check every threaded hole before a cylinder is approved for release. Unlike our no fault engine warranty where we assemble the motor and can control all the steps, the cylinder exchange is put together by the customer and therefore the customer is responsible for the assembly and performance. Yet we sell thousands of cylinder exchanges with no issues.

When Scott called in, he told me that he had assembled the kit, taken it out for a couple of hours and then retorqued the bolt and had an issue. He called and requested that we replace the cylinder exchange kit for free. When Scott was informed that we do not warrant the cylinders because we don’t assemble them and can’t control how they were assembled, he asked what could be done. It was suggested that he have it helicoiled or timeserted at a local shop (which would be quicker and less costly than shipping it to us to timecert it). The warranty department also informed him that there was only a fit warranty on cylinder exchanges because we don’t control the build of the motor. Scott was unhappy that we didn’t replace it even though we had no control of the assembly, use, or retorquing.

We are very upfront with our warranty on cylinder exchanges for exactly this reason. We obviously don’t like to see any customers have an issue but we inform every customer about the conditions for buying at the time of purchase.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

This is so obvious that this cylinder had a bad thread and verifing the head bolt are still at torque after breaking is not a bad thing, if I new there was no warranty when I bought the exchange I would have just bored my good one and be done with it. Buyer beware as this could happen to you and when you call for support it will be your fault.

Comment

just my 2 cents i check all the threads before a build, am i the only one
        94 gtx, 96XP, 97XP,04 GTC SC,05 RXT & RXP

Comment

Working...
        X