Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Kawasaki 750 STS

:(
    I have a 96 Kawasaki 750 STS that I'm having issues with. It seems to only reach 6000 RPM's and if you try to increase the throttle anymore past 6000 it bogs down. Also when trying to take off from idle if you dont feather the throttle it bogs also.
    I rebuilt the carbs and checked the compression (115 each cylinder). When you pull the plugs they're both wet. I have noticed when I pull the plug wire off the spark plug and ground the wire I do get spark but it seems really weak?

Can anybody give me some ideas before I just start throwing parts at this thing?
    I'm contemplating putting on a new coil but just want to see if I'm even heading in the right direction.

Any help would be appreciated!! :)

Re: 1996 Kawasaki 750 STS

I dont think its a spark issue, It still sounds like carb issues, something is not set up right with them. What is your pop-off set at?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Isnt 115 PSi a bit low?

Comment

I have a 1995 sts 750 with a new sbt engine that is showing about 120 psi per cylinder which seems low, but SBT thought it was ok. Nevertheless, it is way short on power and wont make more than 5600 rpms, so I am about to investigate.

Comment

Sorry if I'm a bit green but what is the pop off? I've also noticed from the chatter that it seems better to have the Hi/Lo screws out to far (rich) than in (lean). On my 95 STS it seems the screws only turn about 90 degrees. How can a person turn them out 1 1/4 for high and 3/4 for the low if they won't even turn do to a stop?

Thanks

Comment

I have the same problem with my 750. Can't get past 5K RPM's. Just put on a new top end kit due to low compression and no improvement whatsoever. I'm leaning toward an ignition problem. Whoever can figure this out is definately a guru.

Comment

Originally posted by shoeman View Post
              I have the same problem with my 750. Can't get past 5K RPM's. Just put on a new top end kit due to low compression and no improvement whatsoever. I'm leaning toward an ignition problem. Whoever can figure this out is definately a guru.
              Well, i was thinking the timing could be off on mine, but as far as i can tell there is no way to check or adjust the timing on a 1995 sts750, anyone know any differently?

Comment

I never heard anything about what to do when you can't unscrew the carb screws because of a stop at 90 degrees. I have a 750 which I was told was just rebuilt. I used it a couple of times and now I'm doing a top end because no compression in one cylinder. Don't know what caused the failure but am thinking no oil. I was going to remove the oil injection and go to premix. What do you recomend. What about removing the hydrolock valve? I've heard the possibly won't seal and will cause it to run too lean.

Thanks

Comment

First, those may be removable plastic limiters that you can take off, then adjust as you will. Go ahead and rebuild your fuel pump and make sure your fuel system is delivering fuel as it should. I went to premix, others do not, just make sure that its all working ok, I like the peace of mind on not worrying about the oil system. The hydrolock valve is often removed since its one less air leak to worry about, and you may want to pressure test the engine to make sure you have no leaks. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X