1999 Genesis Carbed, Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Genesis Carbed, Need Help

Its been awhile since I've been on here so please dont hold that against me:) I recently purchased a 1999 Genesis Carbed model. It has a SBT engine in it that was installed in 2008. The ski has been sitting and only has 11 total hours on it. The guy I bought it from had just cleaned the carbs and replaced the fuel lines. I changed the fuel and took it for a ride. The ski ran great. 6680 RPMs and 54MPH on the MFI. As I was coming back in it bogged down and shut off. I was able to restart it and limp back in. When I got in I did a compression test and had nothing in the front cylinder. When I took it apart I found the piston and cylinder scored. I ordered the parts from SBT. I took the carbs apart again and found the screw for the regulator plate was loose and just laying against the diaphram. I assume this is why it blew the cylinder. I got the parts in and put it back together. While i was out breaking it in it sounded and ran great. I removed the oil injection and mixed the fuel at around 20:1 for breakin. As I was riding during breakin it shut off and would not start back up. It sounded like it was locked up. I removed the heads off all 3 cylinders and they all looked great. Piston wash was excellent. I reasswnbled the engine and by this time it would crank. I did a compression test and all 3 were at 125psi. I thought that maybe it overheated and the sensor/alarm was not working. I ohmed the sensor and ground the wire and both the sensor and MFI are working. I removed the thermostat and pop off spring and took it for another ride. It ran great again and I then had the same problem. I revoed the flywheel covwer to see if maybe the bolts were too long and maybe hitting the flywheel. They were not. I started it up and rode it again to see if I could get it to "lock up" again to see if I could figure out the problem. This time it ran great. The RPMs topped out at 6740 and the MFI read 56MPH. I rode it for over an hour and had no problems. Any ideas as to what my problem is/was? Sorry about the long post but wanted to give some history. Any help is Greatly appreciated

Re: 1999 Genesis Carbed, Need Help

Sounds like it was sticking a piston, if it happens again pull the heads and look for scuff marks on the cylinder walls.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

When it happened the first time I pulled the heads and checked all 3 cylinders and they looked perfect. If the piston stuck would it do damage? What would cause it to stick?

Comment

Yes it will cause damage, Running lean will cause the problem, the piston expands faster than the cylinder because lack of fuel makes it run Hot and the piston grows and then grabs the cylinder wall, Aluminum is then transfered from the piston to the cylinder wall and stays there. Every time the cylinder gets Hot from this time on the aluminum thats stuck to the wall catches the piston and shuts the engine off, in most cases if the engine cools for a minute or 2 it can be cranked back up like nothing ever happen.

Comment

Okay I had to pull the ski back apart. It locked up and would not restart. It looks as if the mag cylinder ran lean again. I was checking a couple things while waiting for parts and came across something that may be nothing. The fuel lines are not in the correct spots. According to the polaris manual the feed and return lines coming from the sending unit are criss crossed. would this cause a lean situation? I am going to check my fuel shut off and will do a leak down test to check for air leaks after I put it back together. Also, the center connector fot the main feed on the sending unit is loose. I can move it back and forth, is this normal?

Thanks Again

Comment

Yes the engine will run lean if the lines are crossed, the fitting should be tight on the carb.

Comment

Working...
            X