2007 yamaha vx1100 stripped spark plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 yamaha vx1100 stripped spark plug

I have a 07 vx 1100 with a stripped spark plug. I can't even get it out . Are there any suggestions to help solve this issue? I'm not that mechanical but I thoought I could change the plugs.
    Thanks,
    Ron

Re: 2007 yamaha vx1100 stripped spark plug

The head will need to come off to fix it.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: 2007 yamaha vx1100 stripped spark plug

Stripped Spark plug????? Do you mean the six sides are gone or the thread on the head.
      If the spark plug is still on try the following with great care. Have a fire extinguisher close by, protect all wires and items near the plug you don't want to burn them.

1. Buy Liquid Wrench Rust penetrator
      2. Heat the plug base with a propane blue bottle torch by first spraying the plug with light coat WD40 works great. When the oil starts to smoke then spray the rust penetrator and saturate the base. Buy one of those sockets from Craftman (Easy Out Sockets) kit brings about 6 diffrent sizes or you can buy the correct size for the plug.
      3. Us a breaker bar and see if you can break the seize a bit.
      4. If you fell it move a bit, add more rust penetrator. Re tighten it again, then loose it a bit again, more penetrating liquid. Repeat the process if the plug gets loose a bit. Back and forth and patience might save you some bucks. Just don't break the plug. The socket bites into the plug you might have to break off the procelain, or get a deep cup socket.

If all of that doesn't work, then like the man said, head has to come off. Good Luck

go back and forth gently, you don't want to break the plug and leave the threaded portion in the head.

Comment

Working...
      X