Exhaust warning light on 2001 1200xlt pv new engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust warning light on 2001 1200xlt pv new engine

New SBT engine in ski, following the break in procedure as recommended. proper warm ups each time 20%(2k rpm)for 30 min followed by long cool down . next 50% (4k)for 30-35 minutes... followed by a long cool down.. 45mins or better.
    Next riding 75-90%, after approx 8-10 minutes exhaust warning came on. Shut engine down, pulled seats immediately. no excessive heat noticed, cat pipe could be touched by hand, cylinder head about the same. sat for a few minutes and proceeded to ride again, about the same time the same exhaust warning came on. Pulled seat again. Same thing, did not seem to be overheating, drove again straight runs, same problem. decided to head for home. This problem seems to happen only when running in the 5-6k range. My main focus here is to protect the new SBT engine. So here are my questions.
    1. Is this the sensor that is behind the Cat converter?
    2. What temp is too hot if I measured at the sensor and cylinder head (externally)
    3. would too much oil in the mix cause the cat to run hotter?
    4. How long should I run extra oil for break in.
    5. What is the mix. (took off oil injection.) Tech help said premix for this sled was 32:1, another tech help said 40:1 another wave-runner tech said 24:1
    6.How long to add extra oil? I was told up to 10 hours.
    7. Is the sensor behind the catalytic converter necessary, IE: if the sensor is bad, and the cat is good can I just put a chip in and disconnect sensor.
    8. All I am really looking for here are some solid answers to protect this engine from failing from something that I can control
    I appreciate any guidance you have to offer

Re: Exhaust warning light on 2001 1200xlt pv new engine

40:1 is a good mix, 24:1 is way too heavy, if you run too much oil the engine will actually run hotter and I would definitely want to change my carb settings for a 24:1 mix. Take the catalytic converter out and inspect it, see if its starting to clog, also when you run a heavier mix like 32:1 it is advisable to run a higher octane like 92 or better. Higher octane fuels will also let the engine run cooler and the engine temp will stay more consistent.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X