Driveshaft removal 98 Tigershark TSL 770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft removal 98 Tigershark TSL 770

Having a heck of a time removing the driveshaft from this 98 Tigershark! Have 17mm open end with cheater bar on the shaft with the coupler locked with a chain wrench on the coupler and rope in both cylinders. Not budging at all in a counter clockwise attempt to unscrew from the coupler (counter clockwise is the unscrew direction when facing the ski from the rear). Have tried hammering the wrench, have tried heat on the driveshaft near the coupler, but not on the coupler. Have tried applying pressure on the cheater bar and hitting the end of the spline shaft with a LARGE brass drift pin hoping to jar it free - no luck. Have also tried a chisel hammer on the end of the shaft to try to break the bond - no joy! Have used liquid wrench and WD40 to to avail. Next options is to try PB break and then if no luck was thinking of seeing if I can get the coupler free of the engine crank and then cutting the drive shaft to remove............any other suggestions BEFORE it start this last ditch method? All else came apart well. One of the guys I talked to said try cooling the driveshaft with CO2 or dry ice - anyone tried that?

All the above due to a failed floating bearing and stator bearing so have a scraped up prop and wear ring from the loose bearing on the stator!

At some point this ski will be beyond repair - but it fits my needs and budget. Have had most of the engine apart over the years, but never had to remove it or replace...ah the joys of working it tight places. Lots of scrapes, fiberglass and bloddy knuckles!

Thanks in advance for helping - I need it!

Bill - from Melrose, Florida

Re: Driveshaft removal 98 Tigershark TSL 770

Another suggestion that I have not yet tried is to use an impact driver with a socket that closely fits the splined end and to then drive in punches to sieze the spline to the socket and hammer away. Any thoughts on this method before I wreck the splines? I already have a wrecked floating bearing from heating the drive shaft so this shaft has to come out to effect repairs.

Thanks, Bill

Comment

Bill, not all the Shark drive shafts are screwed into the coupler, just double check to make sure its not splined. Other wise I dont have any good tricks for you.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I broke mine loose in the 770 using a big crescent wrench braced on the driveshaft and a 20" breaker bar with spanner wrench on engine coupler. A few heavy pushes and it finally broke loose!!
        98 TS1000R and 99 TS770, stock

Comment

Working...
        X