640 motor has become a water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 640 motor has become a water pump

Like the intro says, my '94 montego 640 motor sprays more water out the muffler than out the cooling water outlet. Needless to say, it floods the pistons. I've replaced the head gasket and all exhaust gaskets and still have the same problem. I pulled the motor and tore it back down (again) to double check for cracks in the head and/or cylinder walls. None found. The water supply is not too strong and only turned on after the motor is running. What am I missing????

Re: 640 motor has become a water pump

It could be a crack in the exhaust or a sleeve that is leaking, keep searching.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I had considered such. I replace the exhaust manifolds with some extras I had from an old non-working motor. How does one go about checking for a sleeve leaking?

Comment

Pressurize the cooling system and see if it leaks into the cylinders (leave the sparkplugs out and block off the exhaust at the cylinders).
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Looks as if I'll be putting on the proverbial swimming trunks and diving back in.....again! You know it's getting to you when you compare the trouble of the issue to the price scrap cast aluminum is currently bringing.

Comment

Working...
          X