2002 Seadoo Gtx 951: Engine wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Seadoo Gtx 951: Engine wont start

having huge issue trying to get this ski running, has a sbt motor that is about a year and a half old, never had any other issues with the motor til now. fresh carbs set to stock pop off pressure. when we try to start it, engine turns over and sometimes sputters. when it does fire, it only does on the mag cylinder. sparks are good on both cylinders. compression is 120 on both. the engine was running perfect since we got it from sbt, but all of a sudden started having this issue. i havnt the slightest clue what the issue may be. just want some advice before i rip the angine apart. i think the engine is still under the sbt warranty.

Re: 2002 Seadoo Gtx 951: Engine wont start

All the fuses are good? When did this start happening, on the water? After some work? Just happened?
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Is the ski back firing when you try to start it?
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

yes the ski is back firing. my guess is that the cylinder that isnt firing is just loading up. and this 1st happened on the water, i had just done a carb job. i ran the ski at my house right before i took it out on the water. it started up once when i was on the ramp and never fired after that. im pretty sure the engine got flooded with gas while trying to start it at the boat ramp. the engine isnt flooded anymore but now its acting as i stated in the 1st post. all fuses are good. it happened 3 months ago and i have been trying to fix it ever since. the engine is still under sbt warranty so i dont want to take anything apart that would void that.

Comment

Okay, basics.

Stock pop-off pressure
          You checked this how? Did you do this or did a shop? What # did you get? Did you pressure test the carbs to make sure the needle arm wasn't pressing too hard against the diaphragm nipple, causing a leaking needle (common.. very common).

Have you checked the RAVES? If you backfired through the motor (and not the exhaust), There is a good chance that you broke some rave petals.
          Dan Solie -
          94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

i set the pop off pressure myself, and i checked for the leaking arm. i think that may have been what caused the initail engine flooding but that isnt the problem now. the pop off is set at 21 psi on both. does taking the rave valves off void the warranty? that is the only reason i havent done that. it is not my personal ski it is a friends and he is worried about the warranty. the backfires that the engine has had were through the exhaust, im pretty sure because they blew the rubber hose off one the plastic muffler.

Comment

I apologize.. My head was faster than my fingers... REED Petals.. NOT RAVE... Reeds.. Check the reeds.

What are your low and high speed adjusters set to?
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Your first post on this thread describes almost EXACTLY how my 787 was acting. My problem was the carbs... out of adjustment and jets were clogged up. This was causing the mag side cylinder to fill up with fuel.

Did you do a complete rebuild of the carbs? Was the ski running (even if running poorly) prior to working on the carbs?

My issue stemmed from only replacing the seals and diaphrams on the carbs and not going through them completely.

Comment

i will check the reeds and take off the rave valves to look at the pistons, next time i work on the ski. highs - 0, lows - 1.5 . do you have any other ideas of what i should look at?

Comment

i did a complete carb rebuild, the ski ran before the rebuild and afterwards. the problem began after i took it out to the water and flooded the motor at the ramp. that was due to the needle arm issue that dan described. i fixed that but now it seems that there is another problem.

Comment

You could have gunk in the carb holding open the needle valve... If it's flooding with fuel and the compression is good, there are only two areas this can be isolated to. Carbs and Spark.
                      Dan Solie -
                      94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

just looked at the reeds today and they are fine. gonna go thru the carbs tomorrow but im pretty **** sure there isnt anything wrong with them. any other ideas of what i should check before i put the carbs back on?

Comment

just put the carbs back on and its trying to start, and sometimes runs for a second or two but then coms to an abrupt halt. and when it is trying to run it has occasional backfires, small muffeled ones. its not loading up one cylinder like it was before. i suspect there may be something off with the timing. if so, how would i go about checking that out?

Comment

The timing is controlled through the MPEM and doesn't have any manual adjustments. I believe your magnetic ignition pick-up on the magneto housing cover is fixed (like mine is) and is not adjustable to change the timing either. If you haven't changed out the magneto, stator or other ignition components then your timing would not have been affected by anything.

Adjusting the timing requires a computer module that plugs into the lanyard post and communicates with the MPEM, this is the same module that is required to program in new lanyard keys. Sea Doo service departments are usually the only place to find this equipment.

I really don't think your timing is off, I would still be looking at the carbs. Also, did you check the fuel/water separator to make sure there is no water contamination in your fuel tank?

Comment

Make sure you didn't break the flywheel key and now the timing is off. Pull the flywheel and check it.
                              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X