99 xpltd sbt motor toast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 99 xpltd sbt motor toast

well when I look @ them both they're a gold bronze color they both look the same....heres a few pics you tell me thanks
    Attached Files

Comment

They look fine...
      Dan Solie -
      04 RXP (the "Instigator")
      94 xp (freestyle mods)
      95 xp (faster than the 94)
      JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Yeah thats what I thought so I hopefully can get away with doing just the top end and obviously the carbs and changing the fuel lines thanks

Comment

Well Im back from my road trip not sure if Tom is watching the forum. I have posted the pics of the motor pulled apart just wondering if you've had a chance to view them or not? I will try calling you later today or tomorrow to see what were gonna do thanks Rick

Comment

Well its still up in the air as to what Im gonna do. I did pull the piston heads off to try and see if theres any crap under the crank. I dont really see too much just wondering if the 4 main bearings are ok just wondering if they're a sealed or open bearing? This would make all the difference to me as an open bearing would draw in dirt and possibly screw it up as a sealed one wouldnt. Another thing would be an issue is the connecting rod bearings those I can see so dunno if theyre ok. I pulled off magneto end and just setup a dial indicator and turned the shaft didnt see much play about 1 to 1.5 thou but that could have been me moving it too. The other end with the flex coupling that connects to drive shaft I cant get the damm pulley off. Im using a puller but Im finding that its damaging the small shaft part which the nylon insert goes onto..I tried heating it and no luck popping it off will try again next time. Have to see what the ultimate verdict will be...

Comment

They are open bearings. You need to pull off the small bolts that hold on the rear fingered coupler. Then, you will see a large bolt that you have to remove, then use the puller. No heat needed. Pulls off easy.
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

ok what about the small shaft in the center how does that come off Icant rememberhow I got it off originally last year. Damm its mushrooming a bit since my puller is distorting it. So I hear you that it comes off 1st and then theres a big bolt behind it..Dooh what an idiot am I I just checked the micro fiche and its 2 pieces damm I was trying to pull off the whole assembly as 1 thanks. Well back to the bearings if there open then Im wondering if they got any of the grit in them from the piston scoring. Just wondering if it s worth taking a chance on doing just the top end. I dont want to spend the 500 bucks and all the work to get it back together only to have it fail again...the crank turns freely enough but I cant be sure of the bearings can I ? Thanks Since typing this I went and popped it off in no time.
                Last edited by Blader; 11-13-2010, 12:10 AM.

Comment

You are 95% there of just pulling the crank out lol. You can flip it on it's cyl and pop off the bottom case half to take a look. You can even pull the crank up a little and spin the bearing by hand.

What I do is spin the crank slowly while my hand is on each bearing. You can feel rough spots. Make sure you clean the mating surface and re-apply a sealer when you put it back together..

**note... do not do this if Tom is still working with you on warranty etc unless TOM tells you to do so**
                  Dan Solie -
                  94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Yes I know this thanks @ this point Im not sure whats going to happen Jerry from warranty is supposed to get back to me Monday since inital indications arent exactly what I was hoping for. But we shall see Monday what the verdict is. This is why if it doesnt turn out in my favor Im looking of how to proceed from this point,Idont want to do a lota work and have poissibly the same result...

Comment

Well looks like Im on my own some what so Im going to have to split the casing I will follow what you said in your last post. I guess I cant really be sure that the bearings are good even if I dont feel anything unusual? I guess only time will tell I have to split it and go from there. I will report my findings once I have it apart thanks again

Comment

Well I split the casing and I took some pics of it just wondering to relly check the bearings I say that I would have to pull the crank out of bottom half of casing inorder to really be able to check them? So I quess I have to mark the hell out of it before pulling it out,is there a definite way that it goes back in there or doesnt it matter? I m ataching a few pics oh I ddint really find any real bits or chunks or musch of anything maybe a few little pieces of grit.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1788.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	254032Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1787.JPG
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	254033Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1786.JPG
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	254034 Thanks

Comment

Pretty clean looking motor, but what's all that crud in your front housing? (Last pic).

No need to mark anything, just pull it out. On the center gear of the crank and the CB, there is an alignment mark for re-installation (look for a blue line or scribe).

The rest is just lining up the seals and bearing cage nipple thingy's... Pretty easy.
                          Dan Solie -
                          94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Well I had my magneto gasket leaked and got water inside the fron of it which in turn seized up the starter bearing and caused it not to work I oiled the crap outta it so that is why u see the aluminiun is crappy looking thanks I think I saw a scribe mark but what are you supposed to line it up to?

Comment

with the other scribe mark on the other gear
                              Dan Solie -
                              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

yes I figured that much but I called Tom and asked him so that isn't the issue @ the moment. I told him that I noticed that the scribe on cam follower gear was off by 1 tooth compared to crank gear scribe, I was wondering if that could have been a problem? He didnt think so I will put it back the same way that I found it I also marked it 2. I got the crank out flushed out the bearings I was wondering how much play is allowed since the 2 middle ones seem to have a little side to side movement which I described to Tom but he doesnt think that its a issue. The one front one on magneto end sounds a bit noisy but after a few squirts of oil it rides nice and quiet. So i guess all I have to do now is clean it all up and put it back together with some permatex gasket sealant(my favorite) best stuff. And send cylinder back for top end kit have to get carb kit too.

Comment

Working...
                                X