99 xpltd sbt motor toast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 xpltd sbt motor toast

Hey guys FYI i bought an SBT re-manufactured 951 engine for my 99 xpltd last year and I installed it got it out on water and barely broke it in following sbts recommended break in procedure, before I had to store it. This year I had it out a few times for maybe a few hours grand total, and I just was going to winterize it when I went to start it the starter wouldn't turn it over. I pulled the plugs out and it still wouldn't go I had a fully charged battery so I knew it wasnt that. I removed the rave valves and looked inside the front cylinder head you can see that its warped up a bit where the rings are. I cant believe it,it looks like its definitely damaged I'm so ticked off since I'm now out of warranty and Im going to call Monday but I know that they will say that I'm out of warranty which means I'm screwed and will have to fix it again... This will be the 3rd engine...I haven't done anything different that Ive been doing for over 10yrs of owning this machine. All I can say is that Im really disappointed in Seadoo and I will never buy another bombardier product again.... Im including a few pictures of what can be seen through the rave valves port
    Attached Files

Re: 99 xpltd sbt motor toast

Pull the head off and post pics, post a pic or 2 with the carbs on the engine and fuel lines on it.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

If I pull the head off isnt that going to void any kind of warranty if there could be any??? What complicates things more is that Im from Canada thanks. I can do it but I wanted to call SBT 1st and see if theres anything that can be done about this thanks

Comment

If Tom (SBT) tells you to pull the head, it's just so they can try and diagnose failure type. This (in my mind) means they are attempting to work with you and not just saying NO, warranty void.

Pull the head... It will tell a great story.
        Dan Solie -
        04 RXP (the "Instigator")
        94 xp (freestyle mods)
        95 xp (faster than the 94)
        JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Well I called SBT and spoke with Tom and he wants me to pull the head off which Ive done here are pictures. So we will see what the verdict is thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

Everything looks pretty dry and I know we spoke about the original gray fuel lines still installed on the ski, so we need to look into the carbs and see if the internal fuel filters are gummed up and how the fuel on/off valve looks internally. We might be looking at a fuel starvation issue that we need to be corrected before installing any new parts. Keep intouch call me or post.
            Regards,
            Tom
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

You can see long time detonation on the mag cyl...
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

ok will do I wont be back until Thursday working in CT I dont know if I mentioned or not that I was able to turn the pistons as before I wasnt able there doesnt seem to be any scoring on the cylinder walls . The front cylinder still has small damage to the edge of the piston as 1st pictures. I dont know I guess Im just speculating at this point. Can I remove the whole carb assembly without taking off exhaust pipe I cant remember but I know its tight. thanks talk to you later

Comment

You can, but it's a pain! regardless you will need to pull the cyl or motor depending on what SBT's outcome it. I say just pull the pipe anyhow.
                  Dan Solie -
                  94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Well I took it apart pulled carbs apart and found some crap in filter. But I did find the main jet was plugged solid I tried to blow it out clean with a can of compressed air and no dice. So I talked to Tom and he wants me to pull engine and check crank for any damage. Ive got it out and on the bench just wondering if I have to split it?? I'm sure I have to, but want to be sure. Hopefully somebody will see and can tell me for sure thanks

Comment

I would talk to tom to see how far he wants you to tear down. usually I can get a good inspection just by removing the cyls.

TALK TO TOM.
                      Dan Solie -
                      94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Okay I cleaned it up and took some more pictures here they are
                        Attached Files

Comment

Need a pic of the rod of the failed piston.
                          Dan Solie -
                          94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

theres no failed rod if your refering to the piston arm from what I can see theres no damage other than the damage to the piston head and the lower end of cylinder wall but if you want I can take pics of whatever you want just let me know thanks

Comment

The reason I ask is to see the color of the rod, to see if it got overheated (which then puts the bearings at massive risk).

You can look yourself.. Are the rods the same color, or is the failed piston side lighter?
                              Dan Solie -
                              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                              X