1995 sea doo sp starter noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 sea doo sp starter noise

Hello, I have a 1995 sea doo sp with the 587 rotax motor. I went to try to start it and it sounds like the starter is dragging. I pulled off the starter and saw it was an sbt replacement starter. Anyway, after bench testing it and cleaning it up a bit I put it back into the ski with the same outcome. If I rotated the pto by hand with not plugs in it, it rotates with no noise what so ever. This is the kicker, I pulled the front mag cover off and noticed that while hitting the start button the small gear at the end of the starter shank right above the spring was not retracting. It was actually rotating with the flywheel making the dreaded noise. If I stopped and rotated the pto by hand the opposite direction, it retracts but then after hitting start again it stays engaged. The only thing I noticed when I pull the mag cover off was a bit of oil from the front seal. I am sure this is from leaving it outside with a full tank of oil during the michigan winter. Bottom line 2 questions. What do have to do with the starter and second do I have to replace the oil seal? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: 1995 sea doo sp starter noise

Any help here guys would be apprieciated.

Comment

Re: 1995 sea doo sp starter noise

The spring could be worn out on the starter and the oil leak needs to be fixed, the front seal should be replaced. Make sure that your battery is holding a min. of 10.5 volts cranking if its weak it may also cause the starter gear to stay out.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
      X