1995 sea doo sp backfiring through carbs and exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 sea doo sp backfiring through carbs and exhaust

Hey guys I need some techinical advice. I got my sbt starter issue resolved but now once started I am getting backfiring through carb and exhaust. I think I hit all the initial things you guys would tell me. I drained tank refilled with fresh gas. Checked timing on rotary valve and pulled flywheel to make sure that stator was aligned correctly. I even rebuilt the carb. I snipped back wires and changed spark plugs. I swapped out the gas valve also. Lastly I noticed the only time it did not backfire is when I dripped two stroke oil into carb while running. Doing this I blocked off oil pump and mixed 50:1. Still doing same thing. Any help would be appreciated. Could a bad stator cause back firing?

Re: 1995 sea doo sp backfiring through carbs and exhaust

What are your carb settings at? Pop-off? What plugs are you running?
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Hey D thanks for the reply. I am running br7es. I set the jets at lightly seated and 1.25 turns. I do not know the pop off. The ski starts and idles fine and this is all on the trailer running of course. Can a bad oil pump give me these results? Like I said earlier, it does not back fire when I pour two stroke oil down the carbs as it is running. I think I will check the rectifier next, this is frustrating.

Comment

That was my next suggestion was the rectifier. Forget "testing" it. Just unplug it and see what happens. The not backfiring when you put oil down the carbs is probably because you are choking it out...

When does it backfire. When you throttle it up? At what RPM? Is it a loud bang, or a puff.
        Dan Solie -
        94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

D,just tested the pop off and it was 25 lbs which is within range. Unplugged rectifier and no change. Checked stater with one plug in and one out and ground while running and giving throttle and it did not lose spark. I took the muffler off of the tuned pipe and it ran better but that doesnt really do me any good. I am pulling the carbs one more time and going through again. How important are the round disc check valves that are sent in the mikuni kit? mine looked ok so I did not replace. Any ideas?

Comment

One more question. Should the needle and seat pop off every time you pump it up. Mine did it 2 out of about 8 times.

Comment

yes it should. did you wet the assembly with fuel before testing pop off?

Also, a little story. I had a 94xp that would back fire when reving it up. EVERYTHING was within spec. On the water though, she ran like a dream, no issues and still runs that way to this day. A water test can tell a good story when you drop it in. Putting a load on the motor changes a lot of variables that trailer tuning can never replicate.
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

I wet it like every third try with wd 40 by spraying it right at the needle and seat. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X