1994 Tigershark Dayona piston problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Tigershark Dayona piston problem

Hello everyone, I've done a lot of reading and found the site very informative!

I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with my problem. I have a 94 daytona, which has a broken skirt on the piston.
    I think it is the little lobe with a hollow which appears to stop the water from dropping down into the base of the motor. After this occurred the engine still ran but bogged out when given gas, I'm assuming from filling the block with water. I started tearing the engine down, eliminated the head gasket leaking, base gasket, etc. The last thing i reached was the piston. After removing the engine and cleaning everything up I didn't find one trace of the piece that broke off the piston. Both connecting rods are good as is the crank, everything is still timed perfectly, compression still seemed decent also other than water in the block.
    I'm wondering if piston and rings would do the trick or could there be more hidden problems?
    I'm really hoping to get my ski back together and in the water for this summer!

What do you guys think?

Re: 1994 Tigershark Dayona piston problem

If part of the piston is missing its now in the exhaust and needs to be removed. If your getting water in the case when you ride it then keep looking for the cause, cracked cylinder, failed head gasket etc. If you got water in the engine when running on the hose then always remember to never turn the hose on before you start the engine, the engie must be running then the water turned on and then water off before the engine is shut down.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I can eliminate the hydro locked engine just because I was running the ski for at least an hour before the water started leaking. I have the motor torn down right to the base and took the block out and everything looks perfect. The only problem I saw was a small buildup of debris (salt water) around the block core which I cleaned up. The head gasket seems alright and I have a complete gasket kit ready to go back on. The only problem I found was the broken piece off the skirt of the piston. I'm very baffled as to where the waters coming from. Is the broken skirt on the piston a whole other problem? Or could the water be dropping down behind the piston?

Comment

You should not have any water near the piston even if the skirt is gone, the water jackets are separate from any internals in the engine, if a cylinder is cracked then water will enter the crank case.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X