poor idleing/slow start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poor idleing/slow start

I have a 97'gsx that starts very slow(starter does not turn over like it use to). When ski does start, does not stay running well and does not get over about 4300rps..not over about 30mph. Alot of water got in the hull at 1 time and has not been right since. if riding and hit bumps(large wakes) ski will tend go go into the 35-40mph..but will loose speed again. It also has very rough idleing. I just changed the plugs and has new gas. Whan may my problem be? Please any info would be helpful. Thanks

You need to not start it again, and do a compression check. I think you will find some damage and I would guess it's time to tear the motor down for inspection.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

one thing it is possible your rave valve are dirty try to clean it check this site http://saldman.tripod.com/rave_valve/rave.html the should be clean every 50 hours

[ September 02, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: roberto ]

Comment

could it be anything with the carburators or fuel problem since i can hit heavy wakes and the rpms and speed will increase? could the water be in the system anywhere. if i break down the engine what am i looking 4? Rebuild the carbs, clean them or anything..kinda at a loss of ideas...thanks

Comment

I'm thinking more like internal damage, and loss of power. You may have a bearing (or more) that are now shot, giving you the extra drag while starting - and top-end damage giving you the loss of power. A compression check should have been the first thing to do, as it can tell you if you need to stop and rebuild from the start.

Comment

it is hard to diagnoste from here but you have to check for comon sense and see

Comment

Might even be a bad rectifier.
              Bill O'Neal WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

what kinda probs would a bad rectifer show..how do i test to see if it is bad? Thanks...also the ski when it ran fine, right after water filled the hull, it would run at top speed then drop in rpms and the totally stop..then i had the probs that i have already listed..any othe suggestions

Comment

Bills with the program, If you have more than 15.5 volts across the batt when you give the thing a rev, the reg/rec is sad.

Comment

A lot of water got in the hull? What happened next? Did you start the motor and suck that water inside? And like how much water is a lot? Up to the motor mounts or up to the carbs? Was the water properly removed from the hull (motor)? I'd start with compression check.

Comment

I didn't know a rectifier could cause a slow turn over, Bill. I would expect water in the electrical box if that's related.

Comment

A bad rectifier can only cause a slow starter if the battery isn't getting charged (the job of the rectifier is to convert the AC power generated by the stator to DC power and charge the battery), but the reason I said maybe the recitifier is because of the way he described how it ran, "it doesn't get over 4300 rpm"..........
                        Bill O'Neal WCM
                        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Water got up to about the carbs i think, there was water sitting in the electrical box(the 1 that has the leads coming out going to the spark plugs)Pretty sure no water is in the engine. i know this was a bad mistake but any other info that would help me get this fixed would greatly be appreciated. anything alse i caould try/

Comment

Also the engine backfires when idleing and when it would first would start...

Comment

I would go with Bill's suggestion first, but don't rule out mechanical damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X