1200xlt bogs down or shuts down at 4000 rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1200xlt bogs down or shuts down at 4000 rpms

I have a 98 XL1200, I had it out a few weeks back and had run it hard for about an hour. It began to bog down and die and would start right back up, run for about a minute at full power then bog and die. I pulled the plugs and the #3 cylinder looked like it had aluminum on it. Pulled off the intake and found a oil line off on #3. I replaced the oil lines and added some oil to the gas. It's running strong with 125 psi on 1&2 cylinders and 120psi on #3. I am going to take the oil injection off and start mixing at a 40:1 ratio. That short plastic tube almost cost me an engine.
    Can anyone verify if the 40:1 oil ratio is correct?

Comment

You should invest in a factory service manual to help trouble shoot the ski, the cat could be the issue so remove it and see if you can see through it.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I installed a new battery. Still no changes. It will start fine and run fine out of water. put it in water and it idles fine and runs fine all the way up to 4000 rpms and bogs down or shuts down. Is there anywhere i could send my carbs to, to have the pop off pressure checked? The yamaha shop that was close by went out of business and the local boat shops won't work on pwc's. I even had someone tell me that it could be the waterbox causing this or a faulty exhaust temp sensor, but I don't know how the water box actually works.

Comment

I have identical problem to yours on 02 1200xlt PV. Did you get an answer and/or figure out what is going on?

Comment

I have not.
            My understanding is that it is likely the carbs and I am going to rebuild them.

I had previously changed the fuel filter and I just changed the fuel knob (tank/reserver/off) which was frozen and dumped gas into my cyclinders while it was sitting around in my garage. I can get it to go while out on the water by pumping gas into the carbs using the primer (I replaced the choke with a primer).

The other thing I read was that the crank seals sometimes go and the whole system looses pressure. Given the bogging problem I have seems to make the engine spit/backfire I am banking on the carbs which have never been rebuilt (lucky me). I am going to take the the intake off and have a look at the reed valves since sometimes they crack with age.

Right now I have the engine out of my Porsche in my garage so I have to deal with that first :-)

Hope this helps.

Rob
            RB

Comment

Hi Jason-- I have a 2001XLT PV and am having identical problems to yours. I had to replace the #2 cylinder. The carbs were clean, even the screens, so set pop off to 55-60 and reassembled them. Have you found a solution to your problems?

Comment

It could be sticking a piston causing it to shut down. Pull the heads and look for damage to the cylinder walls, if you see any signs of aluminum stuck to the cylinder walls then you stuck a piston and everytime it gets hot it sticks and shuts off the engine.
                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Did any of you guys find the fix for this issue?

Comment

Hi Jason-- I have a 2001XLT PV and am having identical problems to yours. I had to replace phenq with phen375 https://theskinnyvibes.com/phen375-reviews-results/ the #2 cylinder. The carbs were clean, even the screens, so set pop off to 55-60 and reassembled them. Have you found a solution to your problems?

I am having a comparable issue with my 1998 GP 1200. Since I have never revamped the carbs (fortunate me for this numerous years) and ensure my reeds are not broken or twisted.
                    Last edited by AldenForbes; 09-28-2018, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X