1200xlt bogs down or shuts down at 4000 rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1200xlt bogs down or shuts down at 4000 rpms

i have a 2001 waverunner 1200xlt. I rebuilt the carbs, installed an oil block off kit, replaced the #3 cylinder and piston/rings/wristpin/bearing etc. Used all new head gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets and also replaced the reeds. It starts fine. Idles great out of the water, revs up and back down just fine. I put it in the water and it seemed hard to start at first, but it idles fine. It's when I give it throttle and reach 4000 rpms it bogs down or shuts down. what may be the problem? I did a compression test 108 psi/#1 cylinder, 112 psi/#2 cylinder, and 110 psi/#3 cylinder. I installed new spark plugs, the correct ones, I checked for spark and I'm getting spark for each cylinder. please help! thanks!

Re: 1200xlt bogs down or shuts down at 4000 rpms

Maybe a fuel delivery issue, Pop-off could be wrong, what did you set it at?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

well, when i rebuilt the carbs I used the step by step instructions on the site. I had done research on the pop off pressure and got 3 responses. 1 being, to set it at 45 psi. 2nd being, set it at 65 psi. and the 3rd response was to reuse the old springs if there weren't any prior issues with the carbs. I also was told to buy a pop off pressure gauge capable of reading 50psi. I bought a mikuni one, but it only reads 30 psi. I had ran out of money and was left with re-using the old springs because I couldn't return the pop off gauge or exchange it.

Comment

I didn't have any prior issues with the carbs, I did the rebuild just as a safety measure, since i already had to remove them when I pulled the engine to do the #3 cylinder work. That's also another reason I fell back on the "using the old springs" response.

Comment

Does the ski start back up after it dies or do you have to choke the heck out of it to restart it?

Comment

I am having a similar problem with my 1998 GP 1200. Since I have never rebuilt the carbs (lucky me for this many years) and make sure my reeds are not cracked or bent. I did read somewhere that a leaky crankcase seal coul dbe causeing the problem (also see (Yamaha 650/701/760/1100/1200 Non-PV Crankshaft End Seal Kit -- SBT Jetski Engines, Parts & Accessories). Please let us know how you make out.
            RB

Comment

Also should have mentioned that I have a primer pump (no more choke) so I have to pump it with gas to get it going again. I also noticed that if I use the primer while it starts bogging it seems work for a litttle bit, then I am dead in the water for 5 mins.
              RB

Comment

Make sure the fuel in and the fuel return lines are not backwards, The engine will run but not well.

Comment

sorry took so long to reply. It will fire right back up after it quits, or if I let off the throttle when it starts to bog down it will just pick back up to idle

Comment

it is very hard to start when the engine is cold though. usually it will kill the battery and i'll have to jump it over til it starts or charge the battery then get it to start. but usually when its warmed up, it will fire right up if it shuts down or if I shut it down. I checked the fuel lines. they would have to be correct since they are cut to length and the fuel return goes to front carb and the fuel inlet goes to rear carb. but it shuts down right at or close to 4000 rpms when in water. It idles fine in water. Idles fine out of water. Revs up and down when out of water, quick revs too, it doesn't pick up revs slowly. all my gauges stay on when it dies down, so I don't think it's a battery issue. I feel like maybe it's an exhaust problem maybe. maybe the catylitic convertor? would it cause this? I need help bad, but I definitely can't afford to take it to a shop, since their rates are $85 per hour. I know it's gotta be something simple, but finding it is the hard part.

Comment

your correct, could be the exhaust, maybe the cat or you may have a hose delaminating and choking out the engine when back pressure builds up. Remove the cat and look through it, replace if its in bad shape and squeeze all the exhaust hoses to see if one feels real soft, if so remove it and look inside it for damage.

Comment

I pulled all of the exhaust out, the catalytic convertor still looks good, can see through it. However, I thought maybe I had a pinched fuel line under the exhaust, so I put it where its suppose to be and put all the exhaust back on. It's very hard to start, the battery dies before it actually starts and I have to jump the battery over to get it to finally start. I got it in the water and it revved up to 5000 rpms then bogged down and after that 4000 was all it would do. If I shut it down, then restart, it fires right up no problem. Some people have said a weak battery will cause this, also seen where people say it's the cdi box...I'm extremely frustrated with this problem

Comment

Put a new battery in it first.

Comment

One simple thing to check it the fuel slector switch. Try running the ski in the water on the reserve and see if that helps and check the pop-off pressure as well. To high and you will run out of fuel when your ski is under heavy load, ie in the water, to low and you will be running rich.

Comment

Yes it could be the cat. Also check all exhaust hoses for soft spots, if you find any remove the hose and look inside them for blistering.

Comment

Working...
                              X