SL900 CDI help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL900 CDI help

I recently perchased a Polaris 780 and a 900. In an attempt to start the 900 I used a jump starter and smoked the CDI module on the 900. I have bought a new module, but did not remember where the brown wire connected to the cercuit board. The module has only two wires that connect to the PC board. one is black with a yellow stripe and is clearly marked on the PC board. The other wire is a little longer and is brown, but the PC board has no place for a brown wire. I need to know what terminal the brown wire connects to.
    After looking at several other modules I have found that on all the other modules the wire is gray. Does this wire connect to the gray terminal on the PC board?
    I have also noticed that someone has jumpered the pink wire to ground. Can you think of why anyone would need to jump the pink to ground? This wire seems to feed the guage, regulator and fuel guage.
    I also read on your blog that the SL900's had an issue with bad stators. My module is part number #4060180. Is this the good or the bad module and stator.
    Please help if you can, I don't want to burn out another module.
    Thanks

Re: SL900 CDI help

The brown wire and the gray wire serve the same function, they run the rev-limit function. Look for the terminal that says gray on the board and hook up the brown to it. The original stater and cdi on the 900, 1050s and 700s had some issues the update kit is #2873091 it comes with Part # 2871329 Nyogel grease Part # 4010403 Stator Part # 4010447 ignition controller and Part # 5811550 flywheel gasket.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thank you for your reply:
      Do you sell the CDI replacement kit, and is there any reason for the grounded pink wire that you can think of. if not I will disconnect it.
      Thank you

Comment

Pink sould not be grounded, unless it was grounded to trick the sensor or the cdi. WaterCraft Superstore sells the update kit, 1866-957-9277
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Hi
          I have replaced the stator now with the update kit and need to time the engine. Is there a good way to set the static and dynamic timing with the engine out? I set up a dial indicator and need to know, does the stator fire at top dead center and you set the top dead center on the flywheel so top dead center is actually at the BTDC position. This seems to be difficult due to play in the motor. The piston stops moving about two marks retarded of the zero mark and starts moving at two marks in the advanced position. Is there an easy way to set the static timing? Is the TDC between the start and stop of the piston movement or is TDC where the piston first stops when moving the flywheel counterclockwise? The manual says to set BTDC at .0815, This isn't very much. Also a new flywheel was also installed.

Comment

Working...
          X