Case crumbled by counterweighted crankshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case crumbled by counterweighted crankshaft

I've asked this once but I've changed the topic hoping to get more responses.

After a day of riding with no problems, when we pulled the drain plugs on the back of my 2000 Seadoo rx to drain the water, metal pieces came out. Under further inspection we found a twisted metal o ring of some sort. Under the motor on the right side we felt broken metal and pulled some more pieces off. By looking at the manual we're guessing it's the counterweighted crankshaft area. Do you have any guesses what would have caused this? It still runs. But we aren't running it until we get if fixed. I really don't have any other info until we pull it out.

Thanks

Jen

Baine's response was correct in your original post - the counter balancer cavity holds an oil bath for the counter balancer bearings, one of which probably went bad and blew out your case. Your crank is guarnteed to be toast also, and definitely don't even turn it over anymore, pull it out for replacement/repair.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks guys!!

Do you know if it would've been caused by something I did or didn't do. Or just one of those things that can happen.

Jen

Comment

There's really nothing you can 'do' to cause that, it's usually a bearing failure if the ski is otherwise fine. I have seen all the lowerend bearings and sometimes gears, cooked by using the incorrect oil though - what are you using?

Comment

SeaDoo xps II

Comment

Isn't the counter balancer supposed to get 10w30 auto oil?

Comment

The cavity gets straight 30w, but thats only for the counter balancer gears. The crank and main gears are lubed by the injection oil - in this case XPS II is correct.

Comment

Gotcha tech, thanks for clarifying that for me.

Sidenote: Does the counter balance cavity come filled with oil on your motors?

Comment

Yes, it's done durring assembly.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Jen

Comment

Working...
                    X