04 1200xlt pv- intermittent top rpm's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 1200xlt pv- intermittent top rpm's

Hi all. I Have the ski mentioned above since 05. It seems to run great on land...and it runs intermittently well in the water. What happens is that it will throttle up and run great one minute...the next it wont go over 5000rpm's. Then, you hop on it...it goes great for a few seconds, and "limits out". My guess is fuel starvation, but after running it like that yesterday to get it from the ramp to the dock (about a 40 minute ride, some at full throttle when it would let me..then it would drop to 5k, then bounce up and down...weird?)..it never showed signs of being "lean", overheating etc. It ran great! just not continuously. I'm an avid "boater" but not a genius when it comes to these tight spaced two strokes. Just a note...I had the exhaust and all off a few weeks ago (what a PAIN!)...cleaned the carbs and they looked surprisingly clean for sitting that long...the "cat" looked good, clean and intact...and the fuel filter is clean and check valve ok. any pointers? intermittent coil? bad plug wire? Thanx!!!!

Re: 04 1200xlt pv- intermittent top rpm's

the pv controller might be failing. see if the pv's are working when the engine drops rpms
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I understand...how exactly would one go about doing that while underway. I hear them cycle when it shuts down, starts...etc. They seem to be operational at those points...thank you for the reply!

Comment

ride it with the seat pulled back and see if they are moving.

Comment

I tested the servo and it works...fully. A buddy of mine, a mechanic rode the ski and says it's seems to be a fuel delivery problem. To note, I had the fuel tank out and empty...new fuel, screen is clean and new fuel filter...of my old hot rod days, I would lean toward an accelerator pump if there is such a thing on these...seems like it needs more fuel to reach top end rpm's...Getting very frustrated because it runs great at idle, throttles up like it should, and cuts off at 5 grand and 30 some odd mph...even starts fairly easily from cold...HELP!!! lol.

Comment

Did you use the correct fuel filter?

Comment

Did you ever solve your problem as described. I have an 01' that does same thing and I've done all the things you mentioned in addition to installing a d-plate and going mix with the gas. It runs great for awhile then drops to 5K. Right now it won't go over 3K. Can anyone tell me about the movement of the pv's? They close as soon as it starts and don't move until it shuts down with the 12-2-12 o'clock movement. HELP!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X