No announcement yet.

Replacing '03 4 tec jet pump with '02?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing '03 4 tec jet pump with '02?

Anyone know if this is possible. Not real crazy about the composite stators and want to replace with something more substantial.

This is for a 4-Tec SC. Really interested in if it is a direct bolt on or if minor mods are required.

Thx

It is a direct bolt in item.
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

If you are putting an 02 pump in it you can do a few more cool things.
      The 02 pump has a shorter wear ring, this is bad because the rear portion of the blades dont run in the ring, they run on the housing and have excessive clearance. Find an 03 SC wear ring and put a stainless steel wear ring in it. Over here we cant get sst tube with the right OD so we line the stock ring. You will have to machine the 02 housing where the wear ring goes to the same depth as the 03SC. Measure and make sure there is enough meat first. The problem with SC pumps is they flex under load and the prop gouges the ring, resulting in excessive clearance in very little time. Bombardier installed that brace to help this problem, It must have been scary without it!The stainless ring holds the pump rigid. I had a 03SC in last week and we installed a sst wear ring and a solas sr-cd-12/20 impeller. Slight top end gain but consistent 2 boat lengths better off the line! We then removed OPAS and installed modified WORX sponsons on it.
      66.2mph @7550 opposed to 62.9 @7600 stock.
      While you have the pump in the lathe turn a circlip groove so you can use the 03 pump seals and sleeve. They are much more durable than 02.

[ September 06, 2003, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Denny Moran ]

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Sounds a little more involved than what I was hoping for. Will wait to see if other alternatives surface.

Comment

Just stainless wear ring your stock pump. you will like the results and should cost under $150. Still have to avoid rocks though.

Comment

You may have a a happy medium to the stock set-up.

What you are saying is to find a SS wear ring and put it in the '03 pump housing - the SS will prevent the housing from flexing/distorting under load?

Also, if you would please, what did you plug the OPAS holes with? I'll bet that will streamline matters and quicken it up a bit.

Thanks

Jim

Comment

Yep, installing a stainless wear ring in an 03 composite pump stiffens it up and definately improves the dreaded slipping under hard acceleration. Crawl under your ski with a flash light and check out how grooved your stock ring is! I have no idea why bombardier runs this white PVC pipe like material as it doesn't last at all. Maybe price? Maybe it was too hard to tool up to make longer black plastic rings? dunno.
              I noticed in the RXP specs it says they run an aluminium pump housing. I wonder why?? [img]smile.gif[/img]

I used 1/8 aluminium plate to make block offs for opas, (5 plates in total to block off all the holes)and a piece of craft paper to make templates. I also made a warning decal for the glove box lid and "for racing purposes only" decal for the plates to cover my arse as the ski has no off power steering now. I understand that you Americans like to sue each other so maybe there is a legal question if you give a friend a ride?

I had a 4tec sc limited come in today with a terminal case of rock ingestion. This craft tore out all the stator veins and melted the wear ring to the housing! It was the worst I have seen in some years. Some good news though, the housings are rediculously cheap. Too cheap imho.

Comment

Working...
              X