XL 760 will not run at full throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XL 760 will not run at full throttle

I am in need of some help! Like the title said I have a 98 xl760 and it runs great until you get up to full throttle. It run for about 10 seconds and then it drops down to an idle speed. You can get back into it and as long as you dont go up to full throttle it runs fine. I have rebuilt the carbs and made sure the high and low speed screws are at the factory settings. Had new plug wires and boots put on as well as new and correct plugs. I am running premix at 50 to 1. I am at witts end with the ski and realy dont have a shop close to take it to. I could use some help and would be greatfull for any advice, other then getting a new ski haha. I am thinking of rebuilding the carb and checking the pop off pressure, maybe I f ed it up the first time. Any help would be great, thanks.

Re: XL 760 will not run at full throttle

One more thing to add after pulling the plugs it looks to be running a little hot in the heat range, ie the center part of the plug is somewhat white. Not sure how to adjust that but the outer rim looks good, not a lot of build up but it still is some.

Comment

Go back through the carbs and make sure the internal fuel filters are clean, also go over all fuel lines and make sure the hoses and hose clamps are in good shape and the clamps are tight.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I ordered 2 carb kits, gaskets, and plugs today as well as a pop off check tool from you guys today. I forgot to add that I replaced all the fuel lines and the 2 lines off the crank case. I didnt replace the fuel return lines maybe I should? Any idea why it would be running a little hot in the heat range? This ski is driving me crazy and thanks for the help.

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to replace them, if you have sand or something else clogging the passages in the pipe it will make it run hot.

Comment

The fuel return line could be causing it to run hot?

Comment

If its restricting fuel flow the engine will run lean and hot until it burns up. Dirty fuel systems will kill a 2 stroke very fast.

Comment

Ok its running great now! I got the carb rebuild kits and pop-off pressure pump off SBT and found out that the springs in my carbs poping off at 55psi instead of 18-20psi. Changed them out and everything is great!!!!! The funny thing is that the local shop (which is now closed) checked the pop off pressure for my last year and they said it was fine, hu. Thanks for the help!

P.S. I was a little ticked to find out that the pop-off pressure pump does not come with the adaptor. 50 bucks and you have to go to lows and find something to work!! :(

Comment

Most of the time guys will just hook the pump up to the fuel inlet nipple.

Comment

Working...
                  X