96 MC 900 leaking floating bearing and cavitation problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 MC 900 leaking floating bearing and cavitation problems

Hey Guys, we got a 96’ Monte Carlo 900 earlier this spring and it ran great for a few days. It then started cavitating when beginning to accelerate. I figured out the floating drive shaft bearing seal was allowing water to leak into the hull. I assumed this was sucking air from the hull and causing the cavitation problem.

I replaced the entire floating bearing assembly, including all the seals. This seemed to work, and the machine ran great for 4-5 hours, no issues, no cavitating. Then I started to notice the ski cavitating again so I checked the seal and found water slowly leaking in (like before). It seemed to slow the leak when I pressed down on the assembly. This helped the cavitating slightly but still not correct.

Notes: As I reassembled everything I double checked the impeller, wear ring and stator and they were all within manual requirements. I didn’t notice any obvious wear or burrs on the drive shaft either. I also greased the assembly well.

On the water, I loosened the hose clamps and straightened everything to make sure it was in line but that didn’t cause any changes. I also regreased the assembly and it didn’t seem to help.

Are there any ideas or suggestions as to why the new seal is leaking already? Is there something I can do different or something I did wrong to cause the problems? The cavitation is the real issue, the bilge pump works fine so I’m not real concerned about the water issue, but I know it’s not correct.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Re: 96 MC 900 leaking floating bearing and cavitation problems

If the drive shaft has wear marks or grooves worn into it then it will keep damaging the new seals. If it leaks water it will cavitate
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I didn't notice any obvious wear marks or grooves on the drive shaft when I had it apart.
      Any chance that I didn't get it greased well enough initially? I added a generous amount when installing but maybe didn't add more soon enough after its first break-in time.

Am I probably looking at needing a new drive shaft to solve the problem?

Anyone come up with a "home engineered" fix, or ideas for it?? I am very open to suggestions!

Comment

Its getting hard to locate some tigershark parts but Browns leisure world may still have the items you need. Google them
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Hi I have almost the identical scenario except the ski I bought is a 96 daytona 770 tigershark. Used it about 10 hours and it began leaking and cavitating. After surfing the web I'm told it's the bearing as well. I have not ordered mine yet cause of your post. Have you tried anything since your last post? I found a guy on ebay who has parts, his ebay name is scott3058. The guy I bought mine from told me he replaced the jet pump motor last year and really didn't use it since. Not sure if thats related just thought I'd pass it along. Thx and good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X