What Aftermarket carbs for 99 xpl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Aftermarket carbs for 99 xpl

What would be some good aftermarket carbs for a 99 xp. I want easy to tune, fairly stout carbs. The ski is level 1, (so far). And is there any truth to the 3/4 lean problem? If so, shouldn't good aftermarket carbs help remedy this problem?
    Of course, I need to be steered in the right direction for an intake grate, and the right pitch impeller.
    I don't want much, do I? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much, Clifton
    P.S. If you don't want to give up too much info publicly, cliftonbabel@hotmail.com 770.480.5266 Thanks, Again...Clifton

Unless you have lots of other mods, going right to good aftermarkets is a very expensive route and they won't be utilized to their full potential.

Yes there is a lean condition around 3/4 with the stock Mikuni I bodies.

Novi makes excellent step-up carbs.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Actually, unless you plan on going from sea level to over 3500 ft altitudes often, tuning should not be a factor once you are dialed in with the oem carbs, rejet and filters. $155.00 vs $1400.00 for Novi's.

Now, if you are a racer, by all means, get the Novi setup, XR48mm P-9's.

You should never even think of installing any carb setup on a 951 that is smaller than 46mm. Although 44's can work decently, they are not really large enough for the 951 to perform to it's peak.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I put a set of 44 novi's on, used Bill O'neils Prok Flame arrestors and rejetted the carbs according to Tim @ novi.
        So far, I haven't had a problem with this set up, just a lot of bottom end bogging.
        Novi's so far have done me good.
        I was gonna put a nujet prop on the ski but I have decided to just get my impeller cleaned up and repitched by Dave@impros and drop a R&D head on it (although the level 1 head works a tad better).
        The Nujet 6.0 prop will add about 2 mph on top end, but you must have high rpms up to turn this prop. If interested, I have one that has 1 hour use on it. $110.00 shipped. Thats if your interested in it.
        Good luck,
        96xper.

Comment

96XPER-Give me a shout. cliftonbabel@hotmail.com
          or 770.480.5266. If I don't answer, leave message. Thanks, Clifton

Comment

Bill you had told me previously that the 44 novi's would work just as good as the 46i carbs. In fact, aren't the 46i carbs truly a 42 mm carb? From what you had told me, 44's would hit harder on the bottom and give me the same top end.
            My ski so far feels just as fast as the 46i carbs I have on there. My bottom end sucks though. The only reason I replaced the 46i carbs with the 44 novis was really to get rid of that 3/4 lean spot. Just my preference.
            Clifton, I'll buzz ya tomorrow in the afternoon some time,
            thanks,
            96xper.

Comment

No, I said they will work. I did not tell you to call Novi and buy 44's. If I remember correctly, you bought used carbs.

Do not get confused with what works best, with what works.

44's will work. and decently too. But I do not reccommend going out and laying down $1400 for 44's for a 951, when 46's or 48's will work better.

Your low end problem is a jetting problem. You are too rich on either the low jets or the high jets, or both.
              Bill O'Neal WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Its something, hahaha. Gonna check pop off tomorrow. I just wanted to say that the 44's have worked great for what I wanted them to do. I am sure 46's and 48's are better, but i wanted something equivalent to the 46 i's. Gas consumption, bottom and top end to be just the same. I personally am just looking for a reliable ski.
                I think 62 mph is pretty good and for what I do, I don't need anymore. I'd like more bottom end though, hehe, r&d head is on the shelf. But not sure if I want to do that yet. I need orings for the head, you have them in stock Bill?
                SHOOTER

Comment

Working...
                X