98 Gsx limited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Gsx limited

I have replaced the engine with a sbt engine. I run the ski for about 10 hours and it locked. The engine seemed locked, although after a few it started and ran well, then locked again. I towed it back and i can run it on shore. It makes noise from the cone area. I have pulled the cone and the oil looks good. Do I go any further or do I assume the bearing, ect, is ok? Or am I reading to much into it and it needs a new engine...

It may be your pump, you would need to disconnect it and see if the engine frees up. It may very well be the engine seizing though - what happened to the original engine?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Did it lock up while riding, or when going to start it?

Comment

The original engine burned down-the cable to the oil pump broke- now it has not oil pump..
        Now the engine is not locked-has noise, but runs well....

Comment

If the oil pump calbe broke, it doesn't damage your engine - it defaults to full open. You may have had another problem and have not corrected it yet.

Comment

Only way to confirm it's the pump is to seperate the two.

If your not mixing the fuel/oil right..you could be having a lean seizure.

Comment

Well-its not lean-still on the 40/1 mix. Looks like a crop duster at idle. Well, it did burn down and now I premix. Its not siezed now. Its really wierd.

Comment

well, if it's locking up.....it's 1 of 3 things.

The pump, the engine, or if it's only locking up at start..the starter.

My guess would be the pump, if your hearing unusuall noises back there. I would start by seperating the 2 and see how each spins apart from each other and go from there.

[ September 07, 2003, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

Too much oil leans out your air/fuel mixture. Where are your carb screws set at? You may need to rebuild your carbs.

When an engine seizes, it's not locked up unless something breaks. After the pistons cool, they contract and it will turn over again.

Take a compression check.

Comment

Really tech? My sisters shark locked up tighter than shi* and nothing was broke. Finally tore it apart today, bearings are shot, pistons are shot, sleeves are shot...but nothing broke.

I agree with tech though, do a compression test to rule the engine out...i just said pump cause you said you were hearing noises back there.

If compression checks out, go towards the pump.

If it locked up, there is damage somewhere...engines don't lock up for no reason.

Comment

Ok, i just confused myself.

If it is the pump bearings freezing up or sticking, won't it throw the compression readings off? Or dooesn't it matter out of water?

Sorry to butt in

Comment

Steve, if the bearings were shot...that's 'broke'.

Comment

I want to see if one cylinder has damge. The overall readings will be low if bearings are dragging, yes. At starter speed it's usually not an issue.

Comment

Gotcha tech....still learning a bit here. Thanks for being patient. [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

I have the cone pulled off, how hard is it to pull the pump off. looks like 4 bolts.

Comment

Working...
                              X