K&N Air Filters For 1996 Polaris SLT 780 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N Air Filters For 1996 Polaris SLT 780 Discussion

Good morning everyone. So, I am thinking of replacing my stock air fitler with 3 of the K&N air filters. Seeing as this is around a $450.00 upgarade since I need 3 of them inclucing the adapters and filter wraps I was wondering if anyone has done this. My questions would be as follows.

1. How much horsepower would I gain?
    2. Would I need to adjust the carbs after installation?
    3. Better gas milage?

Thanks for any replies on the subject.

Mark

Re: K&N Air Filters For 1996 Polaris SLT 780 Discussion

I dont think you will gain much in Hp, yes the carbs should be richened up a little and gas usage will not change or it may use a little more.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Follow up question. I am getting ready to install the K&N filters and have a question about the carb adapters. After removing the current air filter cover and filter itslef, do I need to also remove the piece that the filter sits in. Meaning removing the 6 screws (3 for each carb) Or do the carb adapters mount directly onto that piece? See the picture below. Do I remove those screws and mount the adapter directly on there or remove that piece and mount directly on top of the carbs?

Thanks

Mark

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	254087

Comment

In most cases you will remove the top original plate that mounts all 3 carbs together and use new allen head bolts through the adapters and re fasten the carbs individually. Re-jetting will need to be done to richen up fuel delivery. You will have to test different sizes of jets till the spark plugs show correct burn, look into how to do spark plug readings on 2 strokes so you understand what you’re looking at.

Comment

I'm unfamiliar with how you would adjust the carbs to richen up the mix. Can you give me instructions or provide a picture of where this can be done at. Is it 100% neccessary as well? Will the ski not run without this adjustment.

Comment

You take the chance of running lean by leaving them stock, Knowledge on carb adjusting is very important, Its not something that can be explained in a paragraph, do a google search online on how to tune a watercraft 2 stroke carb, you will need a few special tools the most important one will be a pop-off pressure gauage, also search on pwctoday.com there are a few good articles that will help you along.

Comment

Working...
            X