1999 900 tiger shark Hole in center piston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 900 tiger shark Hole in center piston

1999 900 tiger shark Hole in center piston, can I remove just the center jug / piston to replace it. What gaskets would I need to perform this? Any help on this would be great. Thanks

Re: 1999 900 tiger shark Hole in center piston

I am not a big fan of just doing one cylinder. It is extremely rare when I will not at least do new rings on every piston regardless of how good the compression might be. If you have more than 12-15 lbs. of compression difference between cylinders, it will not run correctly. I have never done a 900, but I believe the jugs are separate and thusly can be done this way. Definitely the base and head cover gasket would need to be replaced. I always do the exhaust gaskets as well, although I have seen them re-used with the high temp red gasket maker.It's up to personal discretion as to what gaskets you replace, are you trying to save money, selling this, repairing for someone else?

Comment

Re: 1999 900 tiger shark Hole in center piston

Originally posted by cunadomalo View Post
      I am not a big fan of just doing one cylinder. It is extremely rare when I will not at least do new rings on every piston regardless of how good the compression might be. If you have more than 12-15 lbs. of compression difference between cylinders, it will not run correctly. I have never done a 900, but I believe the jugs are separate and thusly can be done this way. Definitely the base and head cover gasket would need to be replaced. I always do the exhaust gaskets as well, although I have seen them re-used with the high temp red gasket maker.It's up to personal discretion as to what gaskets you replace, are you trying to save money, selling this, repairing for someone else?
      Like he said, but if you have any crap from the failure that has moved into the crank case you will have engine failure after you put everything back together. It is in your best interest to remove the engine and clean out the crank case and re-assemble using all new gaskets. Also find out what caused the first failure other wise it will happen again.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
      X