broke piston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broke piston

ok guys, this is my first post and love the site. I have small problem and hope somebody can help. have 94 640 with one piston broke. question is do I have to break the cases apart to find broken pieces before I rebuild top end ????????? thanks alot

Re: broke piston

You would be so wise to THOROUGHLY examine everything, including splitting the cases. Believe it or not, I recommend taking just about every engine out of the hull. Recently, I had a Sea Doo that I thought was a minor ring job. WRONG!!!! Turns out there was a hole in the crankcase from the counter balance shaft bearing blowing up. Motor ran fine for awhile, but then got noisy and vibrated. Could have seen this with an inspection and saved very hard feelings. I have had Kawasakis that ran with holes in the bottom of the crankcase I could almost put my hand in. At the very least, invert the motor and blow into the crankcase to remove debris. Often, a small piece will hide under the crankshaft journal and wedge the shaft fast. You don't want to do all this work and then discover that a bearing is rough, either. Take it from someone whom has learned the hard way (since 1991 or so), cutting corners is no way to go.

Comment

Re: broke piston

thanks alot ........................... not what I wanted to hear , but what I needed to hear. guess my weekend is tied up now..............................................

Comment

Working...
      X