98 seadoo xp limited 951 issue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 98 seadoo xp limited 951 issue!

Okay so I took the ski out today come to find out the reving by itself is because the throttle cable was to tight. Whoever said these motors are touchy isn't lyin my cable was maybe one and a quarter turns (on the two nuts that mount the cable to the bracket) to tight!! I also bypassed my fuel selector switch and I don't think my ski has ever reponded so good. BUT it will only turn 6200. Which sux because my friend has a BONE stock gsx limited and his turns 6800 and is just as fast as mine and I have a solas with a skat trax pump and the trim wedge kit. Any ideas? I've rebuilt the carbs with new kits and put a extra in line filter in the hose. Also its not makin the "clatter" "pingin" whatever u wanna call it noise at high rpm just not turnin enough rpm

Comment

What's the pop off set to in the carbs. what are the high and low speed screws set at?
      Dan Solie -
      04 RXP (the "Instigator")
      94 xp (freestyle mods)
      95 xp (faster than the 94)
      JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Honestly I don't have a clue I'm almost scared to mess with them. I did some on a three carb three cylinder boat motor one time and like to never got it right. But honestly that's got to be what it is. I don't know what else it could be. How far out is factory or close to factory?

Comment

By the way this 951 is a SBT motor bought in the summer of 2006 and I have a 787 xp that I replaced with a SBT this summer. Not to bad for a remain engine I hope it lasts another 5 summers. Seems like always somethin little but never the engine itself.

Comment

Lows at 1.25 out, +/- .25
            Highs at 0 out (seated, not torqued).

Set idle to 2900 out of the water.

Now, out of the water, the 2900 is a good idle spot, 3k usually too high. 3k can make the motor take off again, like it did on you before, but gradually (you will hear it climb). Don't freak out. Just leave it be, put it in the water and go ride.

You need to perform low end tuning first.

From a standstill, or fast idle, PUNCH IT!
            1) The ski should respond instantly. If it hits, then drops off then hits again, it's lean and you need to open the low speed screws 1/8th of a turn until this symptom goes away.
            2) If the ski stutters, hesitates and is gargling like it is clearing fuel, it's too rich and the low speed screws need to come in 1/8th of a turn until this stops.
            You will need to find that perfect middle ground.

Now, the high speed test.
            There is a tactic called a plug chop, that is used by pros and tuners, but it's pretty difficult and helps if you have more than one person with you. So, the easiest way is to go full speed and see what you RPM's are now. You mentioned 6600, which is low. Open up the high speed screw 1/8th of a turn, NO MORE. This should improve it to 68-6900. If it doesn't, then check your impeller and wear ring for damage.

Also remember that where you are, elevation and humidity are a HUGE factor on how skis run.
            Dan Solie -
            94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Sounds good. Im gunna change my starter bendix first i hear its not grabbin like it should and i dont want it to come apart and mess up my magnito. So as soon as i change it (i ordered it off ebay today) ill take it out and let u know if the tune helps. On the carbs the tops are the highs or the lows?

Comment

The one with the T handle are the lows, the one with the plastic cap limiter are the highs.
                Dan Solie -
                94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                X