Getting ready to rebuild a Kaw 900 ZXI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready to rebuild a Kaw 900 ZXI

I bought a used 1996 Kaw 900ZXI a few months ago. The ski looks like it is in great shape, but it didn't run very well. After doing a compression test I found that the #1 cylinder and piston was shot. After removing the cylinder block and head I found a good size hole in the side of the piston. Pic below. I have just removed the engine from the ski and was wondering about SBT's remanufactured engines. Is the only difference between the premium and standard engines the warranty length and inclusion of gasket kit? I thought about just getting a replacement top end, but I figured it was best to replace the whole engine(bottom and top).

I also noticed some blocking off the oil pump. Why is this? Are they prone to failure. Is this most likely the root cause of this engines failure?

Thanks,
    Sean
    Attached Files

Re: Getting ready to rebuild a Kaw 900 ZXI

Yes the difference is the extra 1 yr for the w/a. The motors are built the same way using the same parts. Rebuild your carbs and check all the cooling lines, make sure the are 100% clear.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The oil pump block off kit is a fail safe verses using the old oil injection system that can fail from water intrusion and age.

Comment

Great. Thanks.
        I would like to drop off the core and pick up the new one in person rather than shipping. Does SBT have re-manufactured motors on hand for the Kaw 900 ZXI. I make an annual trip to Lake Land, FL every April and would like to make sure that there is a motor on hand. How long in advance should I place the order before my FL trip in April?

Comment

We would normally have that motor in stock, April starts our season and motors do go fast so place your order in March and we will have it waiting for you.

Comment

Working...
          X