This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with Starters from SBT

I purchased a starter from SBT in June 2010 for my SeaDoo. By October of 2010 it quit working. (Very minimal hours on ski during that time). It had 1 year warranty, so they quickly sent me another one. Again, this year in October 2011 it quit working again, not even 1 year since replaced. (Ski didn't even get 4 hours of run time this summer.). Called SBT, and the replacement starter WAS NOT under a 1 year warranty. They can only warrant the starter from the original purchase date. They are not willing to stand behind their replacements if the original one goes bad. I have purchased engines, starters and parts from them, but this will end that. I learned a lesson . . . .buy OEM when it comes to starters. (Not to mention the time wasted removing and reinstalling starters every couple months.) THANKS SBT! :(

Re: Issues with Starters from SBT

It is unfortunate that Skebumz had an issue with our starter. He purchased the starter on June 24th. We replaced his first starter on Oct 22, 2010, due to no start condition after 4 months. We could not determine that it was a customer caused issue, so we gave the benefit of the doubt to the customer and replaced it. This second call was October 17th, where the customer called said the starter was not starting the ski. The customer swore at our representative and hung up when the warranty policy was reviewed with him.
    Our warranty is clearly written that it is one year from the original purchase date. When determining a warranty claim on a starter that carries a manufacturers warranty, we try to give the benefit of the doubt to the customer when no obvious answer present itself (water injection, overheating, etc). We try to work with our customers to get to the bottom of the problem. We do not restart warranties, due to cases like this.
    • We warranted the starter once without obvious root cause.
    • 1 week short of 1 year from receiving the last starter, the customer again has an undetermined no start issue and requests a replacement.
    • With no obvious failure on the first one, SBT is not sure what is happening to the customer's ski, but two failures of the same nature on a starter would indicate there may be other factors involved in the failures. SBT sells thousands of starters, and although there are a small number of issues on any part, a repetitive problem on a single ski is rarely the component issue.

Skebumz has been a purchaser and poster for SBT for a couple of years now. We have always tried to make it the best experience we could for him. It is unfortunate that this situation has turned the relationship from working with him to the way the phone conversation was handled and the threats of not purchasing.

Comment

Working...
    X