01 virage runs good then dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 virage runs good then dies

my o1 virage 701 2 cyl carb fires right up and runs great for 30-45 minutes and then dies. It will refire after cooling down. The fuel lines have been redone, oil system is removed and I premix, fule lines are all new. I'm thinking it's a heat related ignition issue, such as a coil, or CDI?

Re: 01 virage runs good then dies

Check for spark when it shuts down.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

By the time I got towed in it had cooled and fired on the trailer. I'm assuming it has to be spark. as I said the fuel system has just been completely redone. Carb. lines etc. I'm wondering if the coil is faulting when hot. or could it be the stator, dont know if heat would effect that.

Comment

Check for spark when the engine gets hot and shuts down and you will know.

Comment

Ok no spark. pulled the coil when I got it on the trailer and it had cooled some. coil is within spec. didn't check stator specs

Comment

Cdi could cause the issue too.

Comment

right. I've now checked all with the given values in the factory service manual. Coil, Cdi, and stator seem to all be good cold. I really don't have a way to test them all hot, lake is 20 minutes away and the dock is packed on the weekends. Wish I had a test tank. Any idea of which would be the most common? The coil has no swelling, or cracking of the epoxy normal with a bad coil.

Thank you for your help

Comment

bump
                Last edited by Kill_Factor; 04-30-2013, 02:27 AM. Reason: double post

Comment

i know you feel like this is an electrical issue, but i have had a similar issue with my '95 SL750. it turns out it was a fuel issue caused by a stuck vacuum check valve. the engine would run perfect for 45 minutes and then die. if it happens again check to see if the tank is collapsed in addition to trying to remove the gas cap. listen for a sucking sound. once so much vacuum builds up, fuel stops flowing, but gradually it leaks down (as it cools) allowing positive flow.

Comment

But he said it has no spark when hot, sounds like the cdi

Comment

Working...
                    X