1995 Tigershark Monte Carlo 640 drive shaft removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Tigershark Monte Carlo 640 drive shaft removal

Does anyone have a good idea on how to remove the driveshaft on a 1995 Monte Carlo 640? I'm trying to replace the front and rear seals and bearings. Tigershark calls for a special tool (0644-216) which runs about $300. There has to be another way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Eric

Re: 1995 Tigershark Monte Carlo 640 drive shaft removal

If its the screw in type then use a pipe wrench on the shaft and install a piston stop or piece of rope.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough on the original post. I meant to say the impeller shaft. The shaft needs to be removed from the rear of the PWC according to the manual, but I can't seem to put enough force on it to pull it out.

Comment

The impeller shaft gets removed from the jet pump, remove the jet pump, remove the impeller then remove the shaft.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

You can remove the shaft with the pump installed. First remove the jet nozzle and wear ring. Then put a 17mm wrench on the driveshaft behind the engine coupler-you will see a flat spot for the wrench.Unscrew the impeller. Normal threads-lefty loosey. Now if you don't want to remove the pump, you will have to loosen the engine and slide it forward. Take the rubber out of the coupler and insert something to hold the coupler from turning. I used a ratchet handle or a thick wooden dowel will work. Unscrew the coupler from the shaft. Remove all the grease seals-carefully. You don't want to scratch their bores.Under the grease seals you will find large snap rings that hold the bearings in. Get the snap rings out. Now you can use a block of wood on the end of the driveshaft to tap the bearings out. Sometimes the shaft is the same size as the (input)front bearing,and will slide right through it.The rear bearing can be tapped out with the shaft.Then find some thing to fit in the housing to tap the front bearing out. You should Google tigershark service manuals.

Comment

Working...
          X