2003 900 STX overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 900 STX overheating

Hello. I'm new to the forum and also new to the PWC world so please bare with me. I bought an SBT Standard engine and it runs great except that it overheats within a few minutes. The muffler and manifold looks very clean so the only thing I can think of is that I have a cooling hose attached in the wrong place or that water is just not entering the system at all. Jet pump - I'm guessing and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the impeller is what actually passes water through the pump and up into the holes in the vane guide and then into the exhaust and so on. So what goes in must come out, but where? Where should I actually be able to see water being discharged?

Second question. Does the jet pump also act as the primary source for pulling water from the bilge? I see the hoses in the back going down to the filters so I'm guessing it's self bailing?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Having already invested quite a bit of money for an engine, I really don't want to burn it up.

Thanks

Re: 2003 900 STX overheating

The jet pump acts as a self bailer and the water pump for the engine, water exits through the waterbox/muffler and out the exhaust. See if the hose on the front magneto cover is clear, water must flow through it and into the exhaust, blow compressed air through all of the cooling lines to verify flow.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: 2003 900 STX overheating

Well you were right on with the magneto cover. After removing it I discovered that both fittings were sludged up and completely blocked.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
      X