Bad reed question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad reed question??

Okay, I have rebuilt the carbs, put in new 1.5 N/S, kept main jet 135 and pilot 100, new 115 gram spring. Pop offs all at 50 across the board, doubled check valves, low and high speed adjusted per Mikuni specs, new plugs, primer installed.. just installed for premix and loaded up fuel tank at 40:1.

Ski starts up great in driveway, but low speed rev is rough.. like it is missing, and WOT will climb slower than expected then hit the top. With quick throttle bursts, I see air/fuel mixture come flying back at me when looking down carbs. Forum search indicates bad reeds will cause this..

My question: will the bad reeds cause the other symptoms (missing and rev problems) as well? Is my pop off pressure too high? It is hard to tell if it is too lean or too rich.. Don't want to lower too much and have dribble down the carbs.

Originally rebuilt carbs due to low end hesitation under load at the lake.

Also, since it looks like I need to replace the reeds, do you all recommend reed stuffers at the same time? I have read a little bit about these on the various forums.

Ski is a 1998 GP1200. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Bad reed question??

Pop-off should be fine, see how the reeds look.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Okay, pulled the carbs (again) and the intake. The reeds look great. They all appear to be sealing well and there are none that are broken or stuck. This is the first time I have dealt with reeds in a 2 stroke, but nothing really seems out of order here.. Please look at the pics and let me know what ya think. They all look just like the first pic. I really don't want to buy new reeds if I don't have to. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09098.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	254101Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09099.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	254102

Now that brings me back to why it appears there is significant spray back through the carbs with a heavy throttle. Is this normal for a 2 stroke? What other reasons could there be for this?

I am at a standstill as to why it is missing and running bad with increasing revs through the range. The only thing I haven't gotten into is the CDI, but there seems to be adequate spark to each plug..

Any thoughts please?? Thanks.

Comment

Try raising up pop-off to 60-65 psi see what happens.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Does raising that pop off pressure Len or richer the mixture?

Comment

Working...
          X