Polaris 1997 Slt700 Cuts off and restarts immediately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polaris 1997 Slt700 Cuts off and restarts immediately

I have changes all gas lines and rebuilt Carbs. get regular squirt of gas while it dies.
    Checked spark and it is strong as it dies.
    Checked Stator and is within limits.
    It does not seem to be gas, but I anyone can help me isolate to the problem I would be most gratful.
    Garygc01@gmail.com

Re: Polaris 1997 Slt700 Cuts off and restarts immediately

You could be sticking a piston, this will happen if the engine is starved on fuel while running wide open, the piston expands from lack of fuel keeping it cool and transfers aluminum onto the cylinder wall. Every time the engine now heats up the transferred aluminum grabs the piston and momentarily shuts the engine off, a few seconds later the engine is cool and can restart. The only fix is to remove the stuck aluminum from the cylinder and replace the piston and rings. This happens from dirty carbs or the fuel system not supplying the correct fuel to the cylinders.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

This may very well be it. Before I changed the ole grey lines I found the inlet to both carbs mostly pluged with material from the old lines. I blew it out. Then replaced lines and rebuilt carbs. I replace this short block with one from SBT in 2006 and I has been run very little since.

Will this show with low compression? Do you suggest replacing Cylinders and Rings and removing the Aluminum verses buying a replacement head from SBT?

Comment

to Tom
        Though checking Compression will not tell me if I have sticking pistons, I did check compression. One 110psi other 130psi. What does this tell me?

I have checked the compression and it is 110PSI one cyclinder, 130PSI on other. I am thinking of just buying the Top-End kit for Non Hurricane #62-302 might be simplest solution. Since this is a discontinued ski am I just throwing $ away???

The ski has never been in saltwater. Little use after 2006 engine replacement.
        Last edited by garygc01; 07-11-2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X