Recall on 96 XP gas tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recall on 96 XP gas tanks

I went to look at a ski tonight and the owner had a paper stating there was a recall on some of the fuel tanks on these models. Does anyone know anything about this and what models it covers? I wonder if this would apply to my GSX and eliminate the need for me to hassle with trying to get my gas gauge working.

It effects 1993-1996 Sea-Doo's, which can experience cracking. It has nothing to do with the horrible reliability of the fuel sending units, they never fixed those under recall.

[ September 11, 2003, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

They'll replace the tank if it is broken, and you'll have to "eat" the sender unit costs.

You can inspect the tank yourself, just fill it all the way up, and look at the neck where the fuel fill hose attaches, and see if gas leaks there at the neck/tank body.

The recall was initiated when the skis were fairly new,,,, and would pass the original pressure test----- but a few years later, they are starting to crack and leak fuel. Father in-law ski would fill the engine bay with fuel fumes while re-fueling, and run like crap for a couple minutes till the engine drew enough fresh air into the hull, also smelled of gas when seat was removed.
      ***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

Working...
      X