Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'95 900 zxi slow accleration....stops at 6100 rpm???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 900 zxi slow accleration....stops at 6100 rpm???

My 1995 Kawasaki 900 zxi has been running great for 2 years (when I bought it) but recently it has been acclerating slow and won't reach its full rpm? I ride in fresh and salt water, but recently I went through a HUGE sea weed bed and thought that was it, the ski didn't really slow down but when I let off the gas then got back on it, it was having severe cavitation. I cleaned it extra good that night and don't see any more sea weed (in the pump, intake, intake grate etc.) Now when I ride the ski sometimes it won't rev above 4000 rpm and when it does rev past that it only goes to 6100? I went for a 1-2 hour ride on and off the gas and it "stopped" at 4000 rpm about 10 times then would stay at 4000 for 10 minutes, then shoot up to 6100, I don't know what that means?? After that ride I also checked the engine temp and it was running hotter then normal, but water was running through the engine? The ski before used to accel super fast and would run 7200 rpm all day! I just want that back :( I can't figure out what it is, but haven't really tried anything yet, don't know where to start??? Suggestions and inforamtion would be greatly appreciated thanks :D

Re: '95 900 zxi slow accleration....stops at 6100 rpm???

I'm having kinda the same problem with my 900 ZXI. the first thing that i would do if i were you is pull the spark plugs and look at them. then i would run a compression test on the cylinders to make sure you didn't burn up any rings. your compression reading should be ~120psi per cylinder. if all is good then rebuild your carbs. I just got done going through the carbs and spraying through the jets. i found that my diaphragms didn't look to great.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	diaphragms.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	620.2 KB
ID:	254149

Comment

Thanks for the help, and I did take the plugs out about a week ago they looked like thay fouled out so I replaced them and it didn't help anything. I'll try the compression test, and if its good I guess I'll be opening up the carbs -_- Quick question about the carbs though, I have another 900 ZXI different one and I had to clean the carbs on that one but I couldn't find the jets I probably wasn't looking in the right spot, so I had to take the carbs to my uncle to be rebuilt. Is it possible to attach a pic of the jets? if you put the carbs back already then nevermind its no problem thanks

Comment

yeah. you can kind of see them in that pic. i put squares around the jets in the pic. This plate goes on the section of the carb that you are looking at the blue arrow shows where that little fuel filter fits into the carb housing for spacial representation.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	diaphragms edited.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	254150

Comment

ok GREAT that will help alot, and I heard that you don't have to adjust the carbs is that true because it doesn't sound right??

Comment

There is two needles on the side of the each of the carbs. A HIGH and a LOW speed screw represented with an H and and L on the carburetor. If your boat is unmodified then keep them at the stock settings plus or minus some degrees. Here is a link for those settings. http://www.shopsbt.com/forum/t13981/ . If your cleaning out your carbs you should take these out and clean the bore and the needle tip for the screws. Make sure nothing is damaged or rusted.

Comment

Ok, I am probably taking the carbs apart this weekend to rebuild I have to order the kits first. And another question about that link with the carb settings, when it says for example "Low speed - 1 1/4 +/- 1/4" does that mean you tighten the screw all the way then come out "1 and 1/4" turn give or take "1/4"? I couldn't figure that out, here is the Kawasaki 900 carb settings..............so would what I said be right?
              900 - Low Speed – 1-1/4 +/- ¼
              High Speed – ¾ +/- ¼

Comment

Yes. Tighten it until its just snug. Don't over tighten it as you will damage the needle. Then back it off the recommended turns. Perfect tuning for stock is usually right there plus or minus one quarter turn

Comment

Ok great! I am defunitly A LOT more confident in rebuilding these things. I will post pics of the finished product, and hopefully there are no hiccups in the process. I'll let oyu know how it runs after the carb rebuilds.

Comment

sweet. if you wouldn't mind taking a couple pics of the diaphragms shown i would appreciate it (New and Old)

Comment

Yeah no problem! this way you can compare to yours and see how worn they are/were. I am probably post pics on the 30th or 31st

Comment

Originally posted by bbDiGregzz View Post
                        My 1995 Kawasaki 900 zxi has been running great for 2 years (when I bought it) but recently it has been acclerating slow and won't reach its full rpm? I ride in fresh and salt water, but recently I went through a HUGE sea weed bed and thought that was it, the ski didn't really slow down but when I let off the gas then got back on it, it was having severe cavitation. I cleaned it extra good that night and don't see any more sea weed (in the pump, intake, intake grate etc.) Now when I ride the ski sometimes it won't rev above 4000 rpm and when it does rev past that it only goes to 6100? I went for a 1-2 hour ride on and off the gas and it "stopped" at 4000 rpm about 10 times then would stay at 4000 for 10 minutes, then shoot up to 6100, I don't know what that means?? After that ride I also checked the engine temp and it was running hotter then normal, but water was running through the engine? The ski before used to accel super fast and would run 7200 rpm all day! I just want that back :( I can't figure out what it is, but haven't really tried anything yet, don't know where to start??? Suggestions and inforamtion would be greatly appreciated thanks :D
                        I'm having the same problem, previous day it ran 7500rpm plus now nothing over 6100 like I flipped a switch! Water temperature sensor? Or something else?

Comment

Working...
                        X