Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

97XP. Engine runs away, air leak, major prob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97XP. Engine runs away, air leak, major prob.

Need some serious help with this 97 XP that I been having serious issues with.
    From the very start when I bought it used from someone it had some problem coming of the line. It would feel like the engine is spinning but the pump is not pushing the water. It felt like it was pushing air instead of water. The same thing you would feel if you picked up sea weed in your intake grate (however in this case you would never get it to move unless you cleaned the intake grate). I don't have a tach so I can't tell you the RPMs but they did sound rather high. In either case the speed would eventually (few seconds) pick up but never reach the top 97XP speed. (I have two stock units). Below I will list the things I have done and after that what is my current very bad situation.

1. I started off with cleaning the RAVE valves. I did that and ended up replacing one of the rave valves because it looked bad.
    2. I took off the head, checked the inside of the cylinders for scores and etc. Pretty much everything looked not bad at all. The MAG piston had tiny scores but I'm not even 100% sure about that. Since some "Joe" assembled this ski none of the gaskets were dressed properly so I changed the gaskets and applied proper treatments to them (as per manual).
    3. Snipped the spark plug wires.

The above three were done in one shot and the next time I went out I noticed some minor top end gain but still it had some serious issue with coming of the line. While riding, the ski blew the rubber connection between the exhaust manifold and exhaust tube heading to the water box. (Yes it changed to some purple color). I read around and it said it is probably the problem with the water regulator. So I inspected and cleaned the water regulator and found nothing irregular. Replaced the rubber connection with a new piece and on the next trip I blew it again. I thought and hoped it is the problem with water delivery to the engine and possible clearance with the wear ring. To my surprise I found something even more interesting (the 5th repair)

4. Replaced the wear ring.
    5. While looking around I found that the water line running out of the cylinders (under the exhaust manifold) to the pump was completely clogged with sand (from the T split all the way to the pump). I removed the exhaust; completely replaced the water line with new one. Re-sealed the exhaust (new gasket) and went out again.
    6. Replaced the impeller with a new one. Stock part #. (This was done after the above two steps were tested first, however it didn't change anything)

I prayed that the above problem was my main issue with coming of the line/pushing air and not reaching full top end speed. Little did I know when I got back on the water I still had the same problem. However it became even more problematic. My ski was running defiantly no more then 30MPH. I was going crazy, while on the water I replaced the spark plugs with 2 brand new ones and was able to gain at least 15MPH. It was still running rather slow but at least moving. That day came back from the river (Hudson) I started to notice more and more that the motor would run away while on land. If you just give it little gas the RPMs would rise dramatically and it would not shut off unless you pull the landyard (or stop it) AND pull the choke or press the gas. Typical run-away condition. The RPMs would also never drop back to normal if the gas was ever applied to the ski while it was running on the trailer which eventually (5-10 seconds) would cause the ran-away condition. The next step was done two days ago (never tested) and the steps after that are telling me to pull the engine (in progress).

7. I read online somewhere that out of alignment rear seal (where the 2 drive shafts meet) could possibly cause this weird condition with coming of the line and reach top end. Luckily for me I already bought the alignment shaft before so I had it handy. I did the alignment and prayed even more that this would solve the problem. (But my chance is slim to none and will not get tested for a X amount of time)

I decided that all of the above steps were a huge BS and my problem was in THE carburetors. I said to myself the run-away condition has to be because of the air/fuel mixture is to lean and they must be also causing all of the above conditions.

Upon inspections of the carburetors I found that the fuel filters were completely clogged (like I don't even understand how anything went through them). They were grease black and filled to the top of some crap. (Yes I said here is my problem). Also the fuel filter on the main line was also clogged!! (Yes I said again, here is my problem).

8. I rebuild the carburetors, adjusted the pop off pressure to around 35. Manual says 22-48 is ok.
    9. Replaced the fuel filter and assembled the annoying thing back again. Dressed all the gaskets properly (as per manual) and was sure I fixed the problem. I was sure it wasn't going to run-away.

Guess what? The **** thing was running away even better now. Ha it was getting even more air (or gas?) from somewhere. I played for two hours with adjusting the carburetors with no success. I decided to pull the rotary valve cover and inspect that oring for cracks.

HERE IS THE NEW IDEA!!!!

Upon pulling that I found something so interesting that none of you will probably believe. The cover that covers the balance shaft (catalog name: cover bearing) from the PTO side and the broken snap ring, they were both sitting on the bottom of the hull. If you look at microfiche for 97XP under rotary valve diagram it is number 21 and 23. I rushed to the dealer to get a new snap ring in hopes of putting the cover back in and sealing it. When I got to the dealer I came to find out that whole assembly superseded to a one piece system that has to be put in when the case is split apart. NOOOOOOOO!! Ok I said to myself fine, I'll take apart the **** thing and replace it.

At this point I thought that whole had been opened for quite some time, cause serious air leak and serious lose of power.

WRONG! After reading how the balance shaft is assembled I realized that that piece is a sealed part of the crankcase, because it gets filled up with SAE 30 oil and it is supposed to stay there forever. So how can it leak air if it is not supposed to leak oil?

Right now I'm pulling the engine for further inspection in hopes of finding a fix to this before I sink this **** ski!!! I also came to conclusion that this was a previously sank recovery craft. That I have purchased from a fellow sea-doo.net member.

Please help me, tell me what to do! I'm tired of this crap and I hoped that I will be able to go out at least one more time this season but this **** ski is not running correctly (or at all in this case).

Sorry for this extremely long message but I felt the whole history was needed to identify the problem.

Well, it sounds like you got a POS with multiple problems, and have discovered that sometimes you can't find one without fixing another first, or going through the ski top to bottom the right way from the beginning.

The counterbalance cavity on an 800 is NOT sealed, you DO have a major air leak, your engine needs to be disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and properly checked before running again.

You have some serious pump damage - pull it all off and inspect, especially your seals.

With all the crud in your filters, I hope you changed your fuel lines and washed out the fuel tank, if not you'll soon have clogged filters again.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Ok, here is a little update and questions for you.
      Why do you say I have pump damage? I took this pump apart about 5 times now and changed the wear ring, the impeller and actually the thrust bearing (it looked like it was about to fall apart) But the shaft, the seal and so on look great. Since the wear ring and impeller were two different steps, I even changed the oil twice (Mobile 1 Synthetic gear oil). So where is the pump damage? Why would it be there? Can you please explain this further.

2nd. Why do you say the counter balance shaft is not sealed? How will it hold the oil if it is not sealed? Just makes no sense to me, can you explain this part for me please?

UPDATE: I took out the engine, removed the head and the cylinders and found the MAG piston damaged, looks like it has been seized couple of times. So rebuild is un-avoidable. Looks like this might be my 2nd engine going to SBT. However I still want to find out what caused the original problem and will continue to tear down the engine and look for the problem. Please explain for me the above two questions, they would help me so much in troubleshooting this "unknown" problem.
      Thank you so much.

Originally posted by Technical Support:
      Well, it sounds like you got a POS with multiple problems, and have discovered that sometimes you can't find one without fixing another first, or going through the ski top to bottom the right way from the beginning.

The counterbalance cavity on an 800 is NOT sealed, you DO have a major air leak, your engine needs to be disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and properly checked before running again.

You have some serious pump damage - pull it all off and inspect, especially your seals.

With all the crud in your filters, I hope you changed your fuel lines and washed out the fuel tank, if not you'll soon have clogged filters again.

Comment

If you are reving and not going, you are cavitating or ventilating, plain and simple. I can't see your parts to tell you what you missed, but you missed something.

The cavity does NOT hold oil - it's NOT sealed.

Comment

Ok, now i'm confused

You say the counter balance cavity don't hold oil...where does it go then when you put the SAE 30 in?

Am i on the same page here. You "are" talking about the cavity on the pto end where there is a flat head screw to remove and dump the oil in?

Comment

Only 951's are actually sealed. The 800 consumes the 30 wt. and the counterbalancer bearings are soon lubricated by the injection oil. 800's are not sealed.

Comment

Ahhhhhhhh..........gotcha, thanks tech.

Comment

ok, one last ? on this subject from me.

You say your engines are already filled in that cavity, correct? Well when i got mine last year i was not aware of that and added to it. Would that cause blown seals and gaskets?

Comment

Either take it to someone who has a clue or run away and throw rocks at it!

Comment

Originally posted by stevepaulus:
                    How about the RV timing? is it correct?
                    Well right now, it's in pieces so RV timing is non-existen. But incorrect timing would cause what? run-away condition?
                    Someone suggested checking the pump shoe/ intake grate. Meaning taking them off and re-sealing them. I could see that as potential caviation problem however not in this case because they seem to be sitting very strong. However before everything goes back together I'll check those two things.

Denny Moran, Not taking it to anyone. I'm like 75% there to fixing all of this skies problems. I have another 97XP with brand new SBT motor and it runs like a champ. It also was a tricky machine until I found all the problems.

Comment

Running away(glow plugging) is a lean condition. The problem lies in your carbs. Your either too lean or something was not put back together right.

Comment

stevepaulus,

since plug for balance shaft is open and created air leak it will create lean condition regardless of carbs.

Comment

Where should I start to look for what I have missed? pump practically was rebuilt, wear ring, impeller, thrust washer/bearing. Oil doesn't leak.
                          Rear seal was aligned, carbon ring had some irregular wear due to minor mis-alignment.
                          Its midnight and I finally teared down the entire engine, inside everything looks fine, the counter balance shaft and the crank are in good conditions and I see no damage to the case itself. Now I understand why it is not sealed so therefore even thought the plug was gone the balance shaft was getting lubrication.
                          I think I might need a top end job but the bottom end looks good. Of course further day examinations will reveal hidden problems not noticable at midnight.
                          Thank for your input.

Originally posted by Technical Support:
                          If you are reving and not going, you are cavitating or ventilating, plain and simple. I can't see your parts to tell you what you missed, but you missed something.

The cavity does NOT hold oil - it's NOT sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by stevepaulus:
                            ok, one last ? on this subject from me.

You say your engines are already filled in that cavity, correct? Well when i got mine last year i was not aware of that and added to it. Would that cause blown seals and gaskets?
                            No.

Comment

What turned a purple color? your pipe after you blew the couplers off?

Do youhave the water regulater lines reversed?

Have you verified your timing is corrct?

Comment

Working...
                              X