97 Monte Carlo 770, stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Monte Carlo 770, stumped

I'm working on a friend's Monte Carlo and I'm out of ideas. The ski was bogging down so he brought it to me. I noticed that it had a broken exhaust manifold so I fixed that, pumped the old gas out of the tank (it had been sitting for a year), gave it a new fuel filter and new plugs. I started it on the hose and it ran great. He took it to the water, it ran great for about 10 minutes, then bogged down again. I had the carbs serviced, it runs perfectly on the hose again, but in the water it still bogs. It won't even get on plane with the throttle wide open. The reeds look perfect. I just took the pump apart, the impeller/wear ring tolerances appear to be ok, pump seal looks fine.

I'm not a very experienced 2 stroke mechanic so I could be completely off base here, but I feel like it's getting too much oil in the mix, there are a bunch of oil droplets coming out of the exhaust and black soot all over the back of the ski, is there a way to adjust the oil/gas mix?

When it's running in the water and I've got the throttle wide open, it's bogged down, but there are little one second pops where it feels like it's going to clear out and go.

I'm pulling my hair out over this thing, I offered to try and help a friend, but it's become a way bigger pain than expected. At this point I'm just trying to get it running so he can sell it before summer is over. Any input would be much appreciated.

Re: 97 Monte Carlo 770, stumped

Go back through the fuel system something is not set properly, check the internal fuel filters, see how clean they are and check pop-off pressure.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Any idea where I can find out what the recommended jet settings are for that?

Comment

lows are 1-7/8 and highs are 5/8

Comment

I had just put all new bearings and seals in my jet pump, but now when I turn the drive shaft my impeller is coming in contact with the wear ring. Does anybody know what might cause this or do I need to replace the impeller and wear ring?
          neha

Comment

If the wear ring has swelled up it will contact the impeller. The wear ring will need replacing.

Comment

Working...
            X