New Shopsbt.com flywheel puller stripped in flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Shopsbt.com flywheel puller stripped in flywheel

Now I got a problem. The new Shopsbt.com flywheel puller that I just received from Shopsbt.com is stripped in the flywheel. Trying to pull a flywheel on 93 Kawasaki 750SX. The puller looks like a bolt that threads into the center of the flywheel, Was tough to turn at first as expected then started to turn easier, problem is the bolt is not changing position in the flywheel.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do know??

Bill

Re: New Shopsbt.com flywheel puller stripped in flywheel

Well I finaly got the flywheel off. I first tried straping the engine to a tree and using a car winch to pull on the bolt/puller that was stuck in the flywheel; this did not work. I was successful by removing the bottom of the engine case, heating the flywheel with a tourch, and tapping with a hammer. I will have to drill out the SBT puller.

I would like to know what went wrong with the puller. I have used similar pullers with motorcycles and quads with good results.

My hypothesis is that the SBT puller was not properly heat treated, or of the wrong alloy. If you have a theory leave a note here...thanks.

Bill

Comment

Well I finaly got the flywheel off. I first tried straping the engine to a tree and using a car winch to pull on the bolt/puller that was stuck in the flywheel; this did not work. I was successful by removing the bottom of the engine case, heating the flywheel with a tourch, and tapping with a hammer. I will have to drill out the SBT puller.

I would like to know what went wrong with the puller. I have used similar pullers with motorcycles and quads with good results.

My hypothesis is that the SBT puller was not properly heat treated, or of the wrong alloy. If you have a theory leave a note here...thanks.

Bill

Comment

The puller is heat treated but that doesn’t mean it can't strip out, if you used a impact gun on the puller it will surely get damaged, also it is always good to put grease on the pullers threads before using it. Some flywheels will require heat to allow them to expand enough to pop off, also when the bolt becomes tight it will require a sharp blow with a hammer to shock it off, if that doesn't work you would use heat and then a sharp blow. Some flywheels are harder to remove then others. Most flywheel pullers will become damaged if you just continue tightening them with out striking, heat is always the last resort.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Tech support.

I did not use an impact wrench, I did grease the threads, but I did not strike the flywheel as you suggested. I did use a 3 foot pipe over the wrenches to amplify the force to the bolt. I did not measure the force that I applied but I would guess at about 100 pounds. This would apply about 300 foot pounds, which is a lot.

I wish the tool would have included your suggestion before I started. I further wish that the tool would have a not exceed torque rating.

FYI after I dirlled out the bolt only threads on tool were damaged, no threads on the flywheel were damaged.

Thanks again for responding.

Bill

Comment

Working...
          X