Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pull engine to replace stator in 1996-99 SL900....really? NO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pull engine to replace stator in 1996-99 SL900....really? NO!

I just did one, and have done others the same way. I don't pull engines unless I absolutely have no choice.

The easier way is to drop the oil tank out, unbolt the fuel cell, and stand the fuel cell on its fat end at the front of the machine (drain both before removing or you will end up with a stinky mess of course). While the cover is not optimally accessible, a bungy strap around the tank will hold it to the hood. there is more than enough room to do everything on the front of these engines this way. Oil pump assembly....2 bolts and it drops away, 7-8 bolts in front cover (I can't recall the correct number of bolts in the front cover) and it drops away. plenty of room for a puller for the flywheel, and plenty of room to do anything else you need to up there while you are in it. I lock the flywheel by stuffing a third of a red shop rag in the first spark plug hole and go to town with a breaker bar on the flywheel nut.

While it might be a bit more cramped to work than engine out, I will do just about anything to keep from removing an engine. If it doesn't need replacing then there is no reason to remove the engine that I can think of.....

Doc

Re: pull engine to replace stator in 1996-99 SL900....really? NO!

Thanks Doc, some times its easier to pull the engine, pulling the fuel tank to change the stater can sometimes be a nightmare.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: pull engine to replace stator in 1996-99 SL900....really? NO!

Well, granted i had to drain the tank down to about 2 gallons of fuel. I didn't completely remove the tank though. I stood the tank up on the stern end and strapped it to the from apron cover with a bungi cord. Dropped the oil tank too, and in so doing made enough clearance to do everything I had to do on the front of the engine.

Now granted doing anything inside the hull of any of these machines is kindof cramped, but if I don't have to pull an engine I will find a way not to do it. too many things to go wrong when pulling engines. Broken bolts on expansion chamber sections, shimming engine mounts, fighting pto hubs....nah, I found puling the tank out of the way was somewhat less taxing and removed the possibility of damaging other things in the process.

Just m 2 cents worth.....

Doc

Comment

Working...
      X