Rebuild or remanufactured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild or remanufactured

I have a 99 xl1200 ltd that has low compression in two cylinders. It won't go over 30 mph. I also have a 99 gp1200 with low compression in one cylinder, it still goes 55.They both have about 100 hrs. My question is is better to just buy a remnanufactured SBT engine or just rebuild top end. Pros cons?

Re: Rebuild or remanufactured

Depends on what the actual problems are.if its low compression due to age and use it might be more cost effective to just replace the top end,if you burned up a cylinder due to abad lean condition or an oil line failure,then crankshaft bearing damage can be a result,and even if it seems fine now,a few hours into a new top end and you can have a disaster.since both skis have an issue you need to stop using them,even though it still runs 55, it has a weak cyl and the damage will get worse and it will cost you more if u end up destroying a motor and it loses its creditibility as a core.what you need to do first before making a decision is to disassemble and determine what caused the cylinders to loose compression because if its a fuel issue and if the carbs are in need of a rebuild and you don't correct it,then you will just end up burning up your new engine or top end.the first thing I would do is pull the carbs and exhaust and do a pressure test to see if you have a bad crankshaft seal,then i would pull the head and cylinders to inspect and make a decision

Comment

What are your compression readings? Also, I see you're from VA. Beach. Check the impeller and wear rings for damage from sand. If too much wear, your
      engine can run WOT and you only go 40mph.

Agree with the previous post. If you continue to run it until it fails, the core may be beyond repair. A top end rebuild is cheaper than a full engine but if you
      don't know the condition of the other low end seals, bearings etc....your top end job could be a waste of time. Full leak down test suggested if you plan
      a top end job, otherwise...go ahead and get a new rebuilt engine with a no-fault warranty.

A top end job will cost you around $1k with gaskets & shipping, plus your time & labor. A rebuilt engine is $2k (from SBT) with gaskets, shipping and a new
      set of reeds (recommended). Might as well throw in 3-Mikuni rebuild kits and do the carbs also. Ahhh, a fresh start.

Comment

Thats what im trying to get a fresh start. Every thing i touch lately falls apart got the starter off finally but in two pieces and yet anothr part to replace.

Comment

Tech tip: When you reassemble the engine, leave off ALL of the exhaust brackets until after you have the engine inside
          the craft and are starting to re-install the exhaust. I have found the reassembly instructions from SBT do not suggest
          this and in my past experience, it is MUCH easier to manipulate the exhaust inside the hull when these brackets are left off.
          (i.e. top front exhaust bracket that connects to the head, the rear lower exhaust bracket (stinger section) and the two
          top exhaust brackets (used for hoisting). These ALL get in the way. After you have manipulated and twisted the
          exhaust into position, then install the brackets. Careful not to strip the bolts. Get them all started (finger tight) then torque to manuf/specs. Use blue loc-tite sparingly and a good copper gasket sealer on the exhaust manifold and head pipe connections.

Comment

what about carb is that easier with engine out or in

Comment

When removing the engine, I remove the carbs before attempting to hoist the engine out. It's also easier to drop the engine in, shim it and align the shaft without the extra bulk of the carbs in the way.

Comment

Ok thats what I was thinking got the new starter on today rain really slowed me down today, Should have it up and running tmmrw i hope

Comment

Working...
                X