SBT rebuilt motor put in and this one won't even turn over with plugs in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBT rebuilt motor put in and this one won't even turn over with plugs in

Let me start by saying I have have put other SBT motors in and had no problems. I even did these 2 93 GTS's together and 1 runs fine with 1st motor and second jetski is on it's 5th motor. The problem has been the rv gear stripping. But now I put this motor in and it will turn over with plugs out (don't think it is turning over that fast with plugs out), but not with plugs in. New Battery last month, Starter purchased from SBT with first motor. I tried bypassing the solinoid and it still will not turn over. I can put my finger on the spark plug hole and that will stop it from turning over. These are not my 2 GTS's, there a freinds and I'm eating the costs of it all. I'm not ragging, I just want this thing fixed. I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!

Re: SBT rebuilt motor put in and this one won't even turn over with plugs in

are you sure your ground wire to starter is good? take it off and sand the terminal end and where it touches the motor. "shine" up all your starter/battery connections and check/ load test the battery

Comment

I will check all connections again and battery. Also the wires do not get hot. Thanks

Comment

Hot wires generally do indicate a high resistance at the connection. If it's not where the cable bolts on then it may be the terminal itself has corrosion where the wire is inside the terminal. Easy fix is to replace the whole cable if not too much of a problem.

Comment

Bypassed the cables straight to starter with a known good battery. Still not turning over. How do you test the starter? Could something bind in the motor when spark plugs are put in?

Comment

Remove the plugs and turn the engine over by hand at the rear coupler, how easy does it turn? If it is hard to turn over then remove the jet pump and try again, any easier? if so then the pump may be the issue. If the engine does turn over easy with the pump installed by hand with the plugs removed then its the starter or cables or just grounding issues.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It turns over by hand, no binding, grinding or funny sounds. Is there a way to check the starter. Like I said before I bypassed the cables straight to starter and it was the sam.

Comment

You can send the starter to us and we will load test it. How long ago did you buy the starter from us?

Comment

Just over a year (June) out of warranty.

Comment

It was a bad starter. replaced it and it started right up. ran it today starting the break in sequence. Hope this is the last motor install.

Comment

Just a word of advice, if you didn't open up the carbs and inspect them or clean them you may damage your new motor again, clean fuel system = a good running engine otherwise you will lean it out and destroy it.

Comment

The carb has been gone thru and fuel lines flushed. How does that ruin a RV gear? Which has been the problem everytime.

Comment

Most of the time the rotary gear will become damaged if there is an air pocket in the cavity after the engine is installed or a non A.P.I oil is used.

Comment

Oil lines are full of oil. Oil is approved oil and running in 3 other rotory motors. But thanks for the info. Going to run the jetski again this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                            X