96 SLT 780 Blowback and carberator settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 SLT 780 Blowback and carberator settings

Last August I purchased a 96 SLT 780. It ran for a very short time before I discovered the exhaust edge of the center piston had burned down. I installed a 1.0 oversized SBT top end kit and cylinder exchange. I also cleaned and rebuilt all of the carbs, ensuring all had close to equal pop of pressure of roughly 22 PSI. Upon re-assembly, I also leak tested the engine and it passed just fine. I managed to get the ski out a few times before last season ended.

When running with the FA removed, I quickly get a heavy white waxy buildup of fuel blowback that coats the carbs and entire carburetor rail. I assume that this not normal, and is an indication that the reeds need replacement. I've ordered new reeds and will install them as soon as they arrive. Can you verify my thinking on this, or if there is any amount of blowback that is considered normal and acceptable?

After I put about 5 hours on the rebuild, I've checked the wash and was not seeing any noticeable wash developing. I put the ski away for the season and decided I would deal with it this season. This season I opened all high speed adjusters to 1/2 a turn beyond factory settings. After one day out with these settings (about two hours ride time) PTO is starting to develop a wash pattern, but not the other two cylinders. The pistons look OK still and are not showing any sign of burning or eroding. Should I continue to open the adjusters? Should I consider re-jetting? Any input would be appreciated.

Re: 96 SLT 780 Blowback and carberator settings

If you run with the air box off you will change the air fuel mix, you need to run the air box if you run the factory settings. As for the reeds if they are not sitting flat then replace them.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

i have a 96 polaris sltx the handle on the back of the seat is broken where can i get a new one and will the black tip seat cover fit it they do not show the seat with the handle on it.
      SUNNIVA

Comment

It will be hard to find the handle, I would call in to WaterCraft Super Store and ask for Jose, he will tell you how the handle works with the cover.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X