1997 1100 STX excessive smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 1100 STX excessive smoke

I have a 1997 1100 STX. It starts and runs perfectly but smokes badly at idle and when first started cold. You would think it would foul plugs but it doesn't. It's embarrasing when idling through the no wake zone and I am concerned about getting stopped by lake patrol.
    I have diassembled the oil pump and it looks ok. All parts are moving freely and shows no sign of wear. I have tried different brand 2-stroke injection oils and no change.

Some have suggested eliminating the pump and go to pre-mix. Not my first choice. If I do go that route, wouldn't I need to remove the pump and put a plate over the hole? And if so where do you get a plate?

Maybe I a new pump would fix my probelm, but I would like to be sure.

Thanks,
    John

Re: 1997 1100 STX excessive smoke

If you go pre-mix the pump has to be removed, make sure the pump is adjusted properly and not open too much at idle, refer to the service manual. SBT does sell block off kits if you go this way, also if you have not been using good quality synthetic oil then give it a try, synthetic burns much cleaner than non-synthetics.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: 1997 1100 STX excessive smoke

Go with a block off kit and remove the pump. Do the premix and if excessive smoke continues, try a less rich mix. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
      X